Large Scale Central

Replacement Locomotive Wheels

I am happy to say that after 2 months, Dave and Linda @NWSL have produced an exact replacement wheel. Back in January, I sent Dave a GP-40 Wheel and Gear box w/Axle and he reproduced the wheel exactly. This wheel will fit an GP-40, Dash-9 and SD-45. My test wheels will be arriving next week. They are stainless steel or nickel silver and are around $6.00/ea. I will post more after I receive and test them. Now we can all throw away those nasty plating peeling wheels.

Joe

Joe do you have a set of calipers so we can get a measurement on the back to back? If not, can you take the loco to RJ and have him measure it?

If it’s good I will order a bunch and so will many others.

Good news…

Greg

Greg, I’ll go over to RJ’s and get the info when I get the wheels.

Wheels are NS from what I understand. Later RJD

Thought $6 was pretty cheap for SS wheels, SS is a pain to work, NS much easier.

Waiting with bated breath.

Greg

Dave said he only has a little NS left, then cannot get anymore.

That is weird, no more nickle silver? Very strange.

Anyway, HI JOE! … hope to see you again soon!

Let us know how they turn out.

Greg

He did not say if it was a cost or availability issue…

Joe

Wheels Came today. Installed in under 10 minutes. Locomotives run great. No problems thru turnouts. Greg… I’ll have the measurements you want tomorrow. These fit a GP-40, Dash -9 and SD-45 Just let Dave know what locomotive you need them for. Part #:96002001

Look very nice Joe.

There does not look to be too much taper to the tread.

Are they indeed NS or SS? Did it say on the paperwork?

Greg

Greg, the tag said bright nickel silver

Joe

Great… that is what they look like… you might update your post on MLS because you say SS.

I’ll bet your loco runs WAAAAAAY better now!

Thanks for blazing the trail for us.

Greg

Thanks Greg…It’s corrected… Don’t know why I put SS. Although, he plans on making them in SS once the supply of NS is gone.