Large Scale Central

Rebuilding the Trackage at John Allen

It looks good, Ric.

I use the same technique - put stuff in a log here when I’m building something and then look back at it when I’m trying to do something similar. :wink:

That looks workable Ric. Good idea on havening the pictures available for reference - and I enjoy the detail :smiley:

Next years project should be to see if you can eliminate the sawhorses. I’ve helped carry them so I know how heavy they are. It probably costs you $50 in gas just to move them back and forth to York :smiley:

Jon,

The van gets 18 to 22 miles per gallon depending more on how much we eat and buy at York, than on those saw horses. :wink: One of my problems with the PVC legs is a wobble factor at the taller setting. I was thinking the saw horse would be a stabilizing element, just like the club’s modular layout creates. However, this is the first setup with the lower setting of the legs and they are certainly more stable. I guess it is a leverage factor of length.

I’m looking forward to seeing that at York!

Ric Golding said:
Jon,

The van gets 18 to 22 miles per gallon depending more on how much we eat and buy at York, than on those saw horses. :wink: One of my problems with the PVC legs is a wobble factor at the taller setting. I was thinking the saw horse would be a stabilizing element, just like the club’s modular layout creates. However, this is the first setup with the lower setting of the legs and they are certainly more stable. I guess it is a leverage factor of length.

And I thought you were going to blame poor millage on Andy :smiley:

Jon Radder said:
Ric Golding said:
Jon,

And I thought you were going to blame poor millage on Andy :smiley:

Jon, Basically, he did… :slight_smile: He usually doesn;t buy anything at York, cept for minor detailing items… It’s always a test, when we leave York, as to whether we have enough room for all the stuff I usually buy… Trailer rental has been discussed on a few occassions… :slight_smile:

Andy Clarke said:
Jon, Basically, he did.... :) He usually doesn;t buy anything at York, cept for minor detailing items.... It's always a test, when we leave York, as to whether we have enough room for all the stuff I usually buy.... Trailer rental has been discussed on a few occassions... :)
Andy I don't think "Ric would make you ride in a trailer would he?
Geoff George said:
Andy Clarke said:
Jon, Basically, he did.... :) He usually doesn;t buy anything at York, cept for minor detailing items.... It's always a test, when we leave York, as to whether we have enough room for all the stuff I usually buy.... Trailer rental has been discussed on a few occassions... :)
Andy I don't think "Ric would make you ride in a trailer would he?
Geoff :) Probably........ We'd have to keep the trains all climate controlled, yanno..:)

The final version of the trilogy of “Timesaver” puzzles is complete and has been tested at the East Coast Large Scale Train Show. It uses the same side of the modules as the front when the modules are setup on the basement portion of the KVRwy.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/rgolding/090331%20028.jpg)

And connects to the “Inglenook Puzzle”, which is “Helper Siding” on the KVRwy.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/rgolding/090331%20029.jpg)

The transition module is used, along with both turnouts from the other two renditions of the puzzle.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/rgolding/090331%20021.jpg)

This overhead picture shows the extra siding that has been added as a “Team Track” on the “transition module”.

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/rgolding/090331%20020.jpg)

This has been a fun project and is now basically complete. It started right after our Spring Operations Session on the first weekend of May, 2008 and ended with the setup at the ECLSTS in 2009. As I have said earlier in this thread, it will all be added to the article here on LSC.

Thank you all for your comments and support.

Looks great, Ric!

The beauty of shunting puzzles at a train show is that you’ll attract the thinking parent or grandparent who wants his/her children/grandchildren to learn to think logically while not knowing they’re learning to think logically.

One of the neat things about shunting puzzles is that they can be used deductively (we need a train in this order - how do we make it?) or inductively (we have a train in this order - how did we build it?). Combining two different puzzles offers even more possibilities. Nice one!

My guess is that you and your mates derive tremendous satisfaction from the feedback you get at train shows as people put their wits to work on these puzzles. I hope you get the attention and appreciation you deserve.

Dave,

As I stated somewhere else, the best compliments I got are young people coming back year after year still wanting to play and the guy (Bill) that said, “You’re the guy with the point to point railroad”.