Large Scale Central

RC&G locomotive #16...the "Mastapod"

An update…It’s no longer the Mastapod, there just wasn’t enough clearance underneath for the second set of pony wheels so the truck was redesigned with a single set of wheels so it is now just a decapod. As commented on the combination lever, I did find a place or two where clearance was an issue and it was shortened. An early rainy summer postponed a lot of needed layout work so it was late summer early fall before I could do any serious debugging. It will most likely always be a good finder of bad track work although the sprung center drivers make it one of my best at dealing with vertical transitions. The sprung drivers also created an issue due to the long distance between the flanged drivers. Under certain circumstances the center driver would drop inside the rail on curves causing a bind and sometimes a derailment. Most prototype locomotives with blind drivers use wider tires on them. The C-16 drivers had the same width tire as the flange drivers. I could have turned new tires for them but in the end an easy fix was to just move the flanged drivers to the fourth axle. Yeah not prototype for sure but it solved the problem and is not as noticeable as I thought it might be. Those wishing some video will be pleased but I’m not good at this and my equipment is not the best and I have no editing software so it is what it is. The first video is starting a rather heavy 12 car train on a section of 3% grade. Decapod on the hill - YouTube
The second which suffers from a poor angle shows it running light Decapod running light - YouTube
Also the Bachmann motor failed to pass muster in the early testing, it took nearly 50% power to even get it to start moving. I had a Pittman motor that would fit but it was slated for another project and since buying it Pittman motors have become stupid expensive. Fortunately I found a new old stock motor on EBAY that would fit my other project which freed up the one that would fit for this one and the performance increase was several fold, it now will start with a load at 10% power.

1 Like

Nice! Videos are appreciated. It’s been a long time since we have seen your layout. Looking good!!!