Large Scale Central

Rainy winter project

Time for another update

The engine and drive line are completed and mounted in the frame and the front frame cross member completed.

Sorry about the poor picture.

The engine was built up from Redwood blocks, Styrene, wire and brass pieces. The engine mounting in these old Mack’s is kind of interesting. The engine hangs from large steel pins centered front and back and just kind of swings there, the drive line being the only thing that keeps it kind of centered. You can see the front pin (brass rod just behind the black water hose) and the hanger assembly mounted into the frame. Of course 69 horse power at 1400 rpm probably doesn’t produce a lot of movement in an engine of this mass and weight

The water pump/magneto assembly along with the starting crank handle I used from the original kit. Although a scale difference, it is hardly noticeable once installed. The motor and trans/differential have been painted and lightly weathered waiting final assembly for touch up paint and final weathering.

Same stuff, different view although here you can see the steering arm linkage that hooks to the front hub and tie rod assembly.

Thanks for taking a look.

Rick

Good Morning,

Some more work done on the truck project.

The running boards and fenders are roughed in and the floor boards built. The seat box is an empty space that will be filled with lead to give the model some “heft” and help counter balance the weight of the boom assembly.

The fenders are done and the seat built and painted. The brass mounting bracket is sandwiched between layers of the running boards to give them strength and is attached to the frame. Screws will go up through it to attach the cab assembly at a later time.

More later

Rick

Don Watson said:

I’m not trying to take anything away from your very intriguing project Rick but, for those who are interested in what other things can be done with these Mack kits, I thought I’d post a couple of pictures of what I did to mine. I basically threw everything away but the cab and frame and built a wooden bed and added an Ozark Miniatures crane.

Turned out to be a pretty nifty tow truck for my gas station.

(http://largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2849/Misc/Tow%20Truck-1a.JPG)

(http://largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2849/Misc/Tow%20Truck-2a.JPG)

Just for your consideration. Doc Watson

Doc, that’s really nice. Excellent realism.

Nice progress, Rick!

Back with an update.

Been sidetracked with other projects lately so this is going a little slow.

The firewall/radiator assembly is completed and being test fit. The assembly is hollow and is filled with small pieces of lead sheet to help weight the front of the model because of the boom assembly that will be sticking out the rear.

Also I cut the radiator grills off the 1:24 model and mounted them on this model, maybe just a smidgin small but not bad and sure easier than trying to build something.

The dashboard side of the assembly showing the gauge mounting holes, only 2 instruments in the dash. The arched cutout in the bottom center of the dash is to allow the hand brake lever (coming up from the floor boards) to go far enough forward to fully engage. Remember back in the day brakes were all mechanical so you needed a long stick to get the leverage required to make the system work.

Getting a start on the cab assembly, seems lots of these old trucks no matter the name brand used the basic “C” cab design. Must have been the fad of its time like tail fins or suicide doors. Speaking of doors the doors on this cab pull up from the bottom to the height of the firewall. I don’t know why they bothered because except for the windshield and rear cab window the whole rest of the cab was open to the weather.

Hopefully more to come.

Rick

Rick Marty said: This actually turned into a much larger and more difficult project than I had anticipated.

Like it would only be a third as much work to invent a shrinking ray and shrink a real one? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Well the rainy winter project turned into a hot summer project and then to an early fall project but it is finally complete.

Here is one of 3 known prototypes still in existence, this one is built up on a 1919 Mack AC and is surprisingly complete and is located at a small museum in Trail, Oregon. The other 2 known examples are pretty much junk piles.

Here is my finished feeble attempt of the McVay loader on a 1926 Mack AC

Thanks for taking a look.

Rick

1 Like

Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! Super awesome, Rick!

Awesome craftsmanship Rick. Beautiful model!

Ray and Gary, thank you

Rick,

Any pictures of the crane build process? Looks wonderful.

Hi Craig,

I think there is a few but not many. Didn’t seem like there was much interest in this build project by the forum members so I kinda quite wasting my time documenting the build.

I’ll see what I can scratch up and post for you.

Rick

Rick,

I hear you. Its often hard to gauge how many people are interested in the build logs when people don’t comment or “thank” the posts. I’m thinking the same thing with my snow plow project. Plus it takes time to make quality build log posts.

Craig

Nice work ! Thanks for sharing.

Craig Townsend said:

Rick,

I hear you. Its often hard to gauge how many people are interested in the build logs when people don’t comment or “thank” the posts. I’m thinking the same thing with my snow plow project. Plus it takes time to make quality build log posts.

Craig

Well there ya go. I have been following along on your plow build but haven’t taken the time to support your effort with comments/questions so I guess I am as guilty as everyone else when it comes to supporting other modelers efforts. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I would hardly call that a “feeble attempt”. Looks GREAT Rick, nice addition to the railroad.

Chris

Rick, I have noted the same lack of interest in a build but sometimes looking at the comments doesn’t show the real interest. I too was watching this build and was waiting to see if you included the door mounting. I also like to follow the material usage to compare build methods. Some don’t openly comment but make their presence known just by showing up.

If you have more build pictures they would be greatly appreciated. You may not model in my chosen scale but you certainly model some very interesting equipment.

Oh and 1,780 views can’t be all wrong. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

This loader is an amazing display of craftsmanship! Seeing scratch builds of this caliber are what I find most inspiring on this great site.

It is also a great way to preserve logging history as the few remaining prototypes dissolve back to the elements.

Thanks for taking the time to document and post your build. John R.

Very nice!

Well thanks for the additional nice comments.

Now I am a little embarrassed for making the remark about no interest. Truth be known I probably just got lazy. As was pointed out and we all know it takes some effort to post a complete building log Just ask Cliff, he has to be some kind of “iron man” to keep that log going.

I was mostly doing the build log for TimberTimes submission and when I found that they were closing shop I backed way off with the step by step photo log but I have found a couple of progress pictures i’ll share below.

Rick