Large Scale Central

Propagating Alberta Spruce from Cuttings

Well, Doug, I’m not a Botanist. I can only give you the result of my research. I’m sure that you know best.

Doug Cannon said:

"…dwarf Alberta spruce (Picea glauca “conica”) is a conifer found naturally in the harsh conditions of the Northern Rockies near Lake Laggan, Alberta. Unlike other conifers, it does not produce any cones or seeds, so the only method of propagation is by planting cuttings.

I’m pretty sure though I’ve got at least a couple ‘volunteer’ units slowly growing on the layout. Either by seed blown around from the roughly half dozen (big box store end-of-season sale bought) units that are over 9 yrs old now, or they are possibly young pines from seed fallen off the old ones at the back '40 fenceline.

imho

doug c.

Huh, what did I miss. If they don’t produce seeds, then how could you have some from wind blown seeds. I am cornfused.

Thanks Steve, I am gonna have to try propoga, poerga. growing sum a my own.

“…If they don’t produce seeds, then how could you have some from wind blown seeds.”

Either from the (stated) dwarf alberta, or the pines both in yard !

doug c

No. he stated that the dwarf Alberta doesn’t produce seeds, so they must be from the larger pines.

I thought I had some one time, but it was cedars from my windbreak. I bonsai a few of them, work okay on the layout.