Large Scale Central

Pinner or brad gun

Here’s a question from a total novice about these tools. Do any of them shoot a nail or pin that is comparable to a rail spike? I have hand laid about 300’ of rail and my hand is really starting to complain from driving spikes into the cedar and/or pine ties.
Thanksm
Dave

NoDave, they don’t. Get the ‘Spiker’ a job specific tool that makes life easy.

I will oil the gun, but I want my air dry for air brush usage.
I thot maybe one compressor would do all.
That’s why I’m considering an “oil-less” compressor.

John, I’m pretty sure all the small air compressors for home use are oil-less ( at least all I have seen are ) .But, the compressed air in the tank will have some condensation in it from the pressure.To dry the air they sell a water trap that goes in the line between the compressor and the tools. I mention the oiler because air tools need to be internally lubricated to prevect rust from the moisture in the compressed air.As long as you are going to oil the gun as recommended by the manufacturer the gun will be fine. If you add the water trap inline you will eliminate the water in your sprayer.
They are all somewhat noisy, but if you isolate it in another area or build an enclosure for it you can deaden the sound.

John, I spray lacquer and stains in my cabinet shop, I don,t have a a water trap in my system but I make sure I routinely drain the water out of the tank. You will also find that most of the oil-less compressors are quite loud compared to equal sized belt driven oil type compressors. And they last alot longer in a enviroment where I use it everyday. Killed many oil-less ones in my day. But for the hobbyist a oil-less is fine, do as Dave recomends, isolate it somewhat, put it outside for the non winter months. Don’t p*ss the neighbours off tho.