Large Scale Central

Phoenix sound/Airwire problem

It was in the last email I got from them, received 28 September of last year. Subsequent emails have gone unanswered.

Thanks Chris. Kind of confirms what I thought.

Yeah, I’m a bit concerned because I have my own Phoenix sound - Airwire problem. Maybe I’ll just piggy-back on this thread:

I don’t think the Phoenix P8 is the problem. I have it connected to an Airwire NW2 drop-in decoder. When I power up I get the startup sounds and the engine idles. But it seems there’s no DCC control signal going from the Airwire to the P8 – the bell and horn don’t respond to the function keys, and the engine sound doesn’t change with the speed.

I verified (using the Phoenix programmer interface) that the address on the P8 matches the DCC address on the Airwire. I even wired up a different Phoenix decoder and got the same result, so that strongly suggests that the Airwire decoder is at fault.

I don’t see any configuration jumpers on the Airwire that could be mis-configured. Can anyone suggest anything else to try (e.g. DCC CV settings on the Airwire decoder)? Or is it possible the Airwire decoder is just faulty? (I bought it new about 2 years ago, but I’m just trying to get sound working now).

Try re-entering the address of the decoder with the P8 connected. Even though the address appears correct in the programmer, I have found it sometimes is not being recognized by the decoder.