Large Scale Central

Other "back in the day" G scale train forums

Trying to stay on topic as some don’t like thread drift!

this post has been edited by : Rooster

“Back in the day”…The Morse Telegraph Club was well known, and populated by retired railroad operators, dispatchers, and agents, along with many people retired from the different businesses that used the Telegraph for major communications…“In the past”

As reported here, there are still chapters of this club, in operation, enjoyed by the old gang, but also “Radio amitures” (Spelling ?).

When looking back, we can still be railroad oriented, and stick to the thread topic, while “Wandering” about a bit…don’t you think ?

Fred Mills

David;

This might be a topic that could “Spruce up” the chat, don’t you think…? Especially with a Dave “MARCONI” being one of the regular chatters…!!

Fred

I started out with MLS. After quite a few years I discovered G Scale Central. I quite like it over there. Once I was comfortable with GSC I abandoned my MLS subscription. Why keep paying for something when there are other players out there that are equally entertaining and informative. Yes, MLS got a bit cliquish, and that helped me to leave.

I also belong to OGR ( O Gauge Railroading ). They have a large scale section, though not nearly as busy as here and GSC. One more forum I am a member of is LGB e Scala G, an Italian garden railway forum. They take this hobby seriously but not to the point of being elitists. Some of their layouts are very well done with excellent building techniques.

Of all the forums however, GSC members seem to have the best sense of humor and are not afraid to laugh at themselves.

I have an FCC radiotelephone license. Fortunately, or unfortunately, they dropped the Morse code requirement from the license a few years before I took the test. So I never learned Morris’s code.

Back to topic, its the people who make or break a group. Some groups I have not joined, and it always because of the people.

" Rooster " said:

Trying to stay on topic as some don’t like thread drift!

this post has been edited by : Rooster

David, I often, if not always, learn more from the drifts than from the topic, and am usually more entertained.

edit: this post has been edited by : Passaro !!

John, you too? Huh.

Despite it’s faults, I really enjoyed LSOL. Chat was basically only Tuesday evenings, but there was a group of 8 or 10 who were pretty regular and I sure enjoyed it. That’s actually where I became friends with the notorious David Maynard. For some reason, our relationship has endured even with him being in Pittsburg and me in metro Atlanta. We have only seen each other face to face on two occasions. One year I went to the York show to see the show, but mainly to spend time with him. This past weekend, his company had sent him down here so we went together to Rail Fest at the Tennessee museum at Chattanooga. Also I had a good relationship with Pete De Keles. I miss that. Joh Dekeles made some interesting product review videos, which were mostly good even though he was reluctant to point out shortcomings in products and I enjoyed those.

It was sad to see Jon grasping at straws trying to sell KaDee couplers and USA TRains out of Charlie Ro’s warehouse. When I look at things objectively, though, LSC is a better site. OK, enough of this old man’s ramblings.

Bill Ness said:

…This past weekend, his(Dave Maynard’s) company had sent him down here so we went together to Rail Fest at the Tennessee museum at Chattanooga…

So, I have been away at the Narrow Gauge Convention.

Where did Dave post his pics of this adventure(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Dave has not posted them, since Dave just got home at 9pm on Friday.

I used to belong to LSOL and there seemed to be the same individuals posting irrelevant crap just to boost their posts on the counter. A lot of posts that meant nothing just so one could look like a contributor.

" Rooster " said:

What happened to the refugees from MLS and LSOL and why were these forums sold or crumbled?

THOUGHTS?

Bump

" Rooster " said:

Bump

I was tripped!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Bruce Chandler said:

" Rooster " said:

Bump

I was tripped!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

That’s Dads line and where was Ric when it happened ?

" Rooster " said:

Bruce Chandler said:

" Rooster " said:

Bump

That’s Dads line and where was Ric when it happened ?

How many times do I have to tell you kids to stay off the lawn?

Dennis Brown said:

I used to belong to LSOL and there seemed to be the same individuals posting irrelevant crap just to boost their posts on the counter. A lot of posts that meant nothing just so one could look like a contributor.

You were saying?

Some of the MLS and LSOL refugees ended up here, MLS is still online and there are still members there I assume. I haven’t been there for years. As for their plight I can only speculate as I had no direct connection with either owner. I anted up for premium one time at MLS and never felt like I got my moneys worth and eventually drifted away. I think Shad was way over his head trying to maintain the site and after getting continually beat upon about issues, took the easy way out and sold it. As for LSOL, I believe when the site no longer was a cash cow, Jon folded his tent and moved on. I don’t think Jon was the diehard enthusiast he sometimes made himself out to be, in my opinion it was all about the money. Your opinion of course may vary. My 2¢ worth.

Gary, most businesses are about the money. Jon at LSOL appeared to have lost interest after his son started going to college and StAubins folded. Jon used to be in the chat every Tuesday, and then, all of a sudden he wasn’t. Then he quit coming to York, and then LSOL folded, again. I suspect there is a lot more to the back story, because Jon had a large tract of land and a large outbuilding, but one of the last articles he did on LSOL, he was in a small house, with a small backyard.

I just hope Bob can keep LSC going. There is so much more activity here then I ever saw on LSOL, and the skill-set of most of the posters is at a much higher level.

Oh, and shut up Rooster!

Ric Golding said:

I actually know how to use a rotary dial phone.

Shoot, that’s nuttin, I know how to ask Central for Normandy 4376.