Large Scale Central

One bridge too far?

Nico Corbo said:
Jon, Where does that tunnel go to?

Nico

That tunnel enters Freds burial chamber, and dead ends.

Jon Radder said:
Right. It's a dead-end. The back story is that the mainline to [i]{town name needed}[/i] was abandon many years ago when the tunnel collapsed but there is still enough clear track to get the tourist trains in the dark.

Friar Fred has reserved space on a siding in “The Vault” for perpetual care. Space is limited, but still available.

You may have answered your own query… Vault,CT or the Village of Vault. I still want someone to do the Village of Idiot. I tried that name with Andre a few years ago but he didn’t like it?

I’ve always found that when needing a town name all you really need is a detail map of Pennsylvania and a dart. 99% are winners.

Jon Radder said:
I've always found that when needing a town name all you really need is a detail map of Pennsylvania and a dart. 99% are winners.
I'll bear that in mind - I'll have to scope out the map. Come to think of it, Newfoundland would work very well too.

I like ‘Vault’, ‘Deadend’, ‘Friar’s Repose’, ‘Ashland’, ‘Pineaway’.

Lot of trouble to go through for a dead end, though. Beyond the joke, can you explain all this effort?

“The Abby” extension.

“Fred’s Ash Hole”

John Le Forestier said:
"Fred's Ash Hole"
I got to admit, that's good. ;-)
John Le Forestier said:
Lot of trouble to go through for a dead end, though. Beyond the joke, can you explain all this effort?
It's a very long story told in vivid detail with lots of pictures in the thread [url=http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=12414]CVSRy Over-Engineering Dept. proposes to cover Deep Cut[/url].

Thanks Jon. I read the entire original thread and now I get the point - operationally it’s not merely a dead end, but the tail of a wye. That’s what I needed to know for everything else to fall into place.

That tunnel build was a huge effort, through thunderstorms, heat waves, concrete carrying and mixing, BFR’s, tree rats, and misc setbacks. Five months’ work, gosh oh gosh! I stand in awe.

Thanks John. You can stand if you like, but me, I think I’ll sit. And have a bheer too :slight_smile: I really enjoyed the project, but it took on a like of it’s own.

“Fred’s Ash Hole” it does have a ring to it.

Ric Golding said:
"Fred's Ash Hole" it does have a ring to it.
I love it!! Right up my alley!! Nice work John !! :)

Page 3

David Russell said:
Ric Golding said:
"Fred's Ash Hole" it does have a ring to it.
I love it!! Right up my alley!! Nice work John !! :)
I'll give my vote for this one. You can't do any better. :) :)

“Friar’s Ash Hole” has a better “flow” to it :smiley:
Ralph

Ralph Berg said:
"Friar's Ash Hole" has a better "flow" to it :D Ralph
See what happens when warped mines work together. Ralph, I think you have embellished John's thought. Jon, what do you think?

Gosh guys;

Reminds me of the old joke on how to trap an elephant:

Dig a hole 10 ft deep by 10 ft square.

You don’t want the elephant to get hurt, so fill the hole to 6 ft with fine ashes.

Elephants love fresh sugar peas in the pod, so place fresh sugar pea pods all around the perimeter of the hole as bait.

THEN - When an elephant comes to take a pea, kick him in the ash hole! :lol:

Have fun,
David Meashey

Ralph Berg said:
Just make sure it's down hill. :P
Steve Featherkile said:
Ralph Berg said:
Just make sure it's down hill. :P
Well actually it is down hill from "The Vault" to the portal to keep water from collecting in the tube.

I like Vault CT