Large Scale Central

Oil can trains

Hey Fred,

Isn’t it kind of late to start with proper terms? Many a time I’m glad that it isn’t being called a “watch-a-ma-call-it”.

Fred, yes I know about differential nomenclature, and I am trying to learn it.

Some folks call it a switch, many call it a turnout, but across the pond its a set of points.

Then there is a a crossing, or a diamond. I am sure it has other names.

The one that gets me is a “steam engine”. The steam engine is the engine part, pistons, valves, rods and wheels. But a steam locomotive is that plus the boiler, smoke-box, chimney (stack) cab and such.

And then there is boxcar versus dry goods van, gondola versus wagon, truck versus bogie and on and on.

If you want the correct terminology , use the British one . Trains were invented here , so the nomenclature must be correct if it’s British .

Any other nomenclatures therefore must be colloquial .

Mike

PS I will add a ps when I see the reaction

Mike thinks tribal customs are laws of nature. :wink:

Ducking and running for cover.

David Maynard said:

Fred, yes I know about differential nomenclature, and I am trying to learn it.

Some folks call it a switch, many call it a turnout, but across the pond its a set of points.

Then there is a a crossing, or a diamond. I am sure it has other names.

The one that gets me is a “steam engine”. The steam engine is the engine part, pistons, valves, rods and wheels. But a steam locomotive is that plus the boiler, smoke-box, chimney (stack) cab and such.

And then there is boxcar versus dry goods van, gondola versus wagon, truck versus bogie and on and on.

David,

Personally, when it comes to railroads/railways I like to stick with the commonly used North American terms, since this is a North American forum. Naturally this is, as always, strictly my own opinion.

PS there were plenty of people from “those other places” on last week’s train trip. It was highly entertaining to throw the “ahhh, you mean a xyz” into the conversation.

I am familiar with most American/Canadian terms , but have never come across an “xyz” .

Perhaps its a long word that uneducated people can’t spell .

Mike

Steve Featherkile said:

Mike thinks tribal customs are laws of nature. :wink:

Ducking and running for cover.

I’m just sharpening my spear on the sacrificial stone by the village witchdoctor’s hut , pondering on why Steve said that . Must have missed something .

Mike , son of Ugg and woman .

David said—

“The one that gets me is a “steam engine”. The steam engine is the engine part, pistons, valves, rods and wheels. But a steam locomotive is that plus the boiler, smoke-box, chimney (stack) cab and such.”

“Steam engine” to me means a stationary engine which can be horizontal , vertical or vee and is usually operated in an Engine House .

Your description of a steam locomotive exactly fits a stationary engine . No surprise there because the people who invented Steam Engines went on to design self propelled carriages , still referring to them as steam engines . Nicolas Cugnot , a well known Frog designed the first mobile engine and called it an “Artillery Engine” because he envisaged it towing----yes , Artillery Pieces . Les Frogs still lost at Waterloo though .

We refer to Steam Locomotives variously as engines , locos or horseless carriage , even at one time using the word “puffer” but alas , political correctness has outlawed the use of puffer in order to avoid upsetting those of the limp wrist persuasion .

When I was but a small boy , the road in which I was dragged up had a Steam Laundry on the corner . Being well versed by me Dad in the art of steam things , I always envisaged this steam laundry housing a large thingy with pistons and bright brass bits somehow pummeling the laundry just like me Mom did . Alas ,'twere not so . They just used steam to blow the crap out of the clothing . Very dodgy .

Mike

When I was knee high to a grasshopper, my father pointed out a diesel powered contraption that was pressing asphalt into submission on a highway by means of a huge roller on the front. For some odd reason, he called it a “steam roller.” For years, I looked for any relation to steam for that item of heavy equipment being called a “steam roller.” For a while, I thought it had to do with the “steam” rising off the road after the roller smashed the asphalt, but no, it was not that.

Then I realized, they were powered by steam when my dad was a boy, and the name stuck. I still call them “steam rollers,” just to drive my kids nuts.

(https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Ruthemeyer_Miss-Elli_vr1.jpg/800px-Ruthemeyer_Miss-Elli_vr1.jpg)

Same here Steve . Always been steam rollers , always will be .

And a similar looking device but having four wheels instead of rollers is called a Traction Engine .

I also recall Steam Lorries delivering booze to the local pub . They were eerily quiet , and whilst being unloaded , sat there simmering with menace and dropping bits of ash on the ground .

Did you ever hear of the Steam Torpedo ? It worked too .

Mike

Man, fantastic pictures of your railroad Steve,and great pictures as this thread evolved.

See, this where I get cornfused… I thought a ““Tanker”” was someone who drank from the Keg…

Andy Clarke said:

See, this is where I get cornfused… I thought a ““Tanker”” was someone who drank from the Keg…

Andy Clarke said:

See, this where I get cornfused…

Just one of many places…:wink:

Seems the oil can traffic in Cajon Pass has picked up, hopefully the increased traffic does not result in an unfortunate incident.

John M. said:

Seems the oil can traffic in Cajon Pass has picked up, hopefully the increased traffic does not result in an unfortunate incident.

John this quote is from last year

A whopping 28,000 per cent increase in the amount of oil shipped by rail over the past five years is coming under the microscope following the deadly rail blast in Quebec.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebec-disaster-oil-shipments-by-rail-have-increased-28-000-per-cent-since-2009-1.1357356#ixzz3EXtjAOzT

And the derailments just keep on coming, so far luckily with less serious consequences, however it’s not “if”, it’s “when”.

Reminds me of the developments when a certain “Hunter” took the reins at CP Rail.

My prediction was: “It will take a hard winter and a bumper crop on the prairies to show the foolishness of all the cuts!”. It happened last winter and indications are that the coming winter could be just as bad. BTW grain shipments on CP Rail are still in arrears -north and south of the 49th and that’s as far as last year’s crop goes.

Hans, we have a plan in place for an number of things that could happen in Cajon, railroad related is one component. The increase in oil traffic by rail has not gone unnoticed in the first responder arena. We do meet regularly and run through simulations for a variety of events, its sad what happened north of the 48. I know you have posted quite a bit on that topic.

John,

Good for you. The first responders up here are mostly in the dark as far as contents of any car goes. In the case of Lac-Mégantic it wouldn’t have helped or improved things, since the contents of the tank cars were mislabeled i.e. for the road portion of the journey - well to transload onto train - the oil was labeled as more volatile than what was on the tank cars.

Sarcastic me (the devil makes me do it) would quip: “Sheesh, it’s amazing what the slightest ingress of fresh air can do”

Some more background info on shipping oil by rail.

http://www.petroleumnews.com/pntruncate/12998979.shtml