Large Scale Central

be welcome!

we got the popcorn - you get the pics.

Just got in from spending the day down here in not-so-sunny,but rainy central Florida. Will be getting back home in a few days and will post some pictures of my present indoor layout along with some of the outdoor area I’ll be working with. Thanks for posting those pictures of my Olds as it was a challenge since there are no ready sources for parts so much has to be researched and found among 32’ Olds collector/owners or just made. Seeing since people keep mentioning pictures I’ll post a few of my kit or scratch built RC aircraft that I’ve modeled and fly. I have those photos saved in my iPad so I Have them readily available. One is an OS2U Kingfisher WWII float plane. I built it about 10 yrs ago and put about 10 hours flight time every year. Another is a WWII Japanese Shiden Kai fighter plane made from a rare, available only in Japan kit, heavily modified to more exact scale outline. One other is a Dauntless SB-6 dive bomber which was the featured US plane in the recent remake of the “Midway” movie. Like the actual plane, my model features the basic four channels, throttle, elevator, rudder, and ailerons, along with retractable landing gear, flaps, dive brakes, bomb drop, and flashing LED machine gun lights with sound. All three average around 56-59” wingspans, have IC four stroke glow fuel engines, are completely glass cloth covered, with full airbrushed finishes Including all lettering and insignias. There are no decals or plastic iron coverings used. All fly great.

sorry, tried to post more pictures but only got the link to one. I’ll have to learn how this site works.

Got it figured out now. Train photos in a few days!

Ahhhh, you gotta love the Corsair and the Zero!

Edit: Or is that a Hellcat?

Michael Kirrene said:

Ahhhh, you gotta love the Corsair and the Zero!

Edit: Or is that a Hellcat?

The US plane is the Dauntless SBD-6 dive bomber and the Japanese plane is a Shinden-Kai which is often mistaken for a zero. It was a much better aircraft than the zero and more the equivalent to the US P47 Thunderbolt. At the end of the war, captured Shinden Kais were flown home and tested with our much superior high octane aviation fuel. It out performed all of the US pacific theatre aircraft so we were lucky the Japanese had lousy fuel during the war. I do have a zero and a Corsair but have no current pictures of either. The Corsair is the hardest to fly airplane of the era, both in full scaled and when modeled.

Shinden Kai and SBD are grand models, especially the crew guys in the SBD, but I’m really liking that OS2U with its yellow wings livery.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Shinden Kai and SBD are grand models, especially the crew guys in the SBD, but I’m really liking that OS2U with its yellow wings livery.

The OS2U I modeled was one of two on the USS Pennsylvania. The yellow livery was only around for about 3 1/2 months before the two tone blue colors were ordered into service due to the war. The yellow livery was kept in pristine condition and was meant to attract volunteers to the air core/navy. I modeled it mainly because of its better visibility over water. It was built as a tribute to a club member who actually flew them out of kodiak Alaska. His name was fred tuxworth, was in VS 70, and he wrote a story about his commanding officer. Its an enjoyable read and can be found on the internet. http://www.kadiak.org/vs/tuxworth.html Those were the days when men were men.

My favorite is the ‘Whistling Death’. It had gull wings and folded up under the flight deck of the aircraft carriers. I can see why the model would be hard to control, especially at high speeds. My second favorite is the P-51. The Hellcat was a very fast plane too and so was the Thunderbolt. Interesting story you have, Ted, about the Shinden Kai and how it out-performed US aircraft when provided with good fuel. Your numbers C 343-45 coincide with the prototype. Google is my best friend. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

what scale are these models?

around 1:20?

near enough in scale to integrate them into the railroad layout?

No,scale is around 1/8-1/9. Way too large. The planes would need to have about a 15-16” span to be correct.

Michael Kirrene said:

My favorite is the ‘Whistling Death’. It had gull wings and folded up under the flight deck of the aircraft carriers. I can see why the model would be hard to control, especially at high speeds. My second favorite is the P-51. The Hellcat was a very fast plane too and so was the Thunderbolt. Interesting story you have, Ted, about the Shinden Kai and how it out-performed US aircraft when provided with good fuel. Your numbers C 343-45 coincide with the prototype. Google is my best friend. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

The Corsair was actually a failure at its initial design, to be a carrier based Aircraft. The nose was long and it was difficult to see the deck when at the proper attitude to arrest the cable with the tail hook. Landing speed was the critical part of flying the Corsair and many pilots stalled the wing lift causing it to drop the left wing and hit the left gear hard on the deck usually causing heavy damage. If the pilot tried to avoid the stall by flying just a little faster, they often over shot the arresting cable and would fly into parked planes on the front of the carrier. The Corsair was removed from carrier service and used as land based mainly by the marines where it’s speed and maneuverability shined making the Corsair a successful airframe used into the Korean War and even later by foreign air forces. The whistle is caused by the combination of high air flow by the huge propeller, over the wing mounted oil coolers, and it’s gull wing shape. If you watch both the models and the real aircraft fly, you will often see a little “wag” of the tail which is another known characteristic of the Corsair. Even though the nose is long, the airframe is considered short coupled, and short coupled aircraft often ”wag” side to side as they fly. It is one of my favorite WWII airframes too!

Wow.

It’s taken me awhile to read through your restoration log, but it was well worth it. To say that it is great work is a massive understatement! Welcome aboard - I look forward to viewing your railroad progress and hope you can come to some of our events!

Welcome aboard, excited to see progress on your RR !

Welcome aboard the Crazy train ……

The Big “E” train show in West Springfield is coming up Jan 25,26 th … https://www.largescalecentral.com/event/81

Welcome! Hey, with your machine shop skills you should look int othe live steam side of the hobby! Lots of fun!

Welcome Ted! Excited to watch your progress.

Welcome to the crazy we call LSC! I joined up last year after a number of years out of the hobby (school/career/etc). Look forward to seeing your progress with your grand plans!

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement from all. My wife and I left the villages FL at 4:00 pm yesterday and got home to Dartmouth MA this morning around 10:40. We always drive straight through so we don’t miss much time. Got home and went to bed now we’re going out for some Chinese food For the new year. Happy new year everyone and I’ll start getting up some of my current layout pictures instead of the plane and car ones!