Large Scale Central

New Industry for the Triple O - A Grain Elevator

My new book of Hawaii RR mentions that many of the coaches were converted to carry sugar when passenger traffic died before WW2. Then when the military came to town, they had to be converted back.
Oops - sorry. I got the book out and it says they were converted to carry pineapple in cans!

Yes the US military RR is pretty rich in history. I’ve always thought about trying make a small field railroad from WWI but I don’t really get down to that level of detail in my general history classes.

Maybe I should just model the “white train” from the Cold War as I teach more modern history. :joy:

In WWII, they were converted back to passenger cars! Supposedly, grades plus pineapple juice led to the purchase of a pair of Shays. Sources differ as to the success of these two logos. The issue of grades and juice were allegedly enough for the OR&L to consider electrifying that branch, so maybe there is proof to the reason for the purchase of the Shays.

It just so happens I have a battered LGB box car I was going to rehab this year to pick up some modeling skills… I bet the Triple O could donate one to the M&K Sugar Co. for its experimental tropical wheat crop!

Thanks, David, for sharing this. O.D. and I are already hashing this around…

Eric

Update:

Today was an three project day for the 1:1 crew of the Triple O. In one, O.D. commenced cutting foam board into elevator core.

In the background, Oldest Son is tinkering on Charlie the Railtruck, but, back to the topic at hand…O.D. and I scouted out the siding where the elevator would go to determine the building’s width.

That nice stone will have to go, unfortunately, but that’s OK.

After that, she hit the foam and the scrap bag to assemble the core, using bits of shishkabob skewers to pin the parts together and TiteBond III, the glue of choice for our foam builds, to put the walls together. Our 1:24 buddy helps to give a sense of scale:

She then made the unloading building for the wagons of the M&K Sugar Co. on a separate base and pinned the lot together. At knock off, it looked like this:

The roof will be a salvaged campaign sign (spelling?). Her ultimate plan is to try and scrip this to look like wood or clad and scribe it. Given I found out this is due Wednesday, I advised she make a “good enough” version for her class that we can dress up to the exacting standards of 1:24-ish PLAYMOBIL scale later!

Updates as they come! I am passing along the tips and offers of help, and she has expressed her appreciation!

Eric

2 Likes

Looks like a great start. Vertical lines for wood siding will blend the board joints into the structure. With this kind of progress O.D. will be well prepped for the MIK next year.
Fine work O.D. :grin: :sunglasses:

As of 0730 today, the elevator looked like this:

Someone is clearly practicing for future all-nighters!

I am off today to take care of personal business, and I have the task of sealing the joints and placing the roof (I am still needed!). It will get the loading shoot (“goober?” from the video) and paint tonight to cross the “good enough for school” line. When it comes home, it will get ahat it needs to cross the “good enough for us” line.

Eric

1 Like

Coming along nicely.

Looks like growing grain - usually corn, but sometimes wheat - was a thing in Hawaii…

Will Any Wheat Grow In Hawaii? – Kauai Hawaii (kauai-hawaii.com)

Hence, this project might actually ‘fit’

I had no idea…but, yes, the elevator fits!

O.D.'s project is ready for schools. Our 1:24 buddy from the paint shop was finishing things up tonight.

A piece of styrene tubing wrapped in black duct tape will server as the loading pipe (“guber?”) tonight.

She plans to take a box car, rigged per the ones in Dave’s (@David_Marconi_FOGCH ) for her display.

Both she and I regretted she didn’t have another weekend or two to really make this shine. She plans to do that once this comes back from school. Some improvements include plans to smooth out some rough edges, cover the roof with old roofing material like our other buildings, clad the sides, improve the unloading pipe, and add a few other details. This is a solid core that deserves the finishing touches.

She really appreciated the offers for help, by the way, and so did I!

Project on hold but not over…

Eric

2 Likes

With this kind of short term progress getting the solid base, I can’t wait to see what O.D. achieves finishing it off with her chosen materials and time to make it shine. Great addition to the railroad. Wrapping the tube in black tape was a cure I wouldn’t have thought of, but think I’ll stow that idea in my quick tips file, if you don’t mind.
I’m starting the “O.D. has to join the MIK club” with this build. Should we start a new thread.
And so as not to be misunderstood, I’m looking forward to the other three doing their own MIK when she does as they all shine in their own talents. So Eric you might want to talk to CINCHOUSE about that railroad expansion real soon. :innocent: :sunglasses:

1 Like

O.D ,
It already shines as :rooster: is watching. Nice work so far young lady!

I have passed along all of your kind compliments! She’ll get the project back in about week, and then she’ll start transforming it into a model.

Eric

1 Like