Large Scale Central

New Here & Starting A Small Indoor Layout

" Rooster " said:

Steve said:

any other suggestions as I move forward?

What are your plans for opening the mini blinds and cleaning the drapes a few years from now ?

A ladder, and I can still reach from the sides. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

John Caughey said:

Scherzer rolling lift bridges

How I’m going to do my lift out section. Looks easy. Not my video…

ok, so after taking a short break, I have some news. 3 of my engines are going back for repair. The good news is, I made a little leeway on the layout. It’s not perfect and I have a mistake that I need to fix, but it works and I can run trains.

The first train…

The mistake…

The video…

Steve

Love the foam surface which is kinda heavy overkill but still good. The 2x4 frame and connectors will make O-27 lionel guys foam at the mouth . Nice indoor RR which you are constructing but perhaps think lighter on framing materials for future expansion ( I know a guy that knows a guy that is second cousins with a guy who could knock out the wall on the curtain side eliminating the need to clean them in turn expanding your RR)? I cannot help you on the track plan though.

These are only only my thoughts. Not what you should have done!

Nice Work

Check out my website for more detailed information on how it is done

" Rooster " said:

Love the foam surface which is kinda heavy overkill but still good. The 2x4 frame and connectors will make O-27 lionel guys foam at the mouth . Nice indoor RR which you are constructing but perhaps think lighter on framing materials for future expansion ( I know a guy that knows a guy that is second cousins with a guy who could knock out the wall on the curtain side eliminating the need to clean them in turn expanding your RR)? I cannot help you on the track plan though.

These are only only my thoughts. Not what you should have done!

Nice Work

Lol, I did the foam so I can easily add a river or stream. There won’t be a next time, this it and it will have to do. It was an over kill for the lift out and I should of went smaller, but too late now. I’ll fill the hole with some scenery or building.

Steve

ok, so I need some help. I’ve been testing the layout and I’m having a problem over switches and my two crossovers. What happens, is on occasion once the engines pickup shoes crossover the plastic frog and starts to come in contact with the rail, I get a huge spark and the it triggers my dcc system and shuts down. I have to turn my remote of and then back on… it happens with both locos I have tested. Doesn’t do it all the time. Also, sometimes it’s not as bad as in the first few minutes of this video. It’ll stop and the continue on its way, other times it’ll just stop…

Help, and thanks

Ps, all new track, so it’s not dirty.

Oh if the track has been outside for more than a week, it needs cleaning, adding a behind the engine electrical pickup car that is electrically tied to the engine will eliminate 99% of you problems example is LGB 2015 and 2017 with powered tender ( although the powered isn’t important )the space that the electrical pick up covers is. A mogul with traverse dirty track, shorts, connection problems, where a 2010 or 2020 wont. Clean weekly with a drywall sander using a scotch bright pad and add a pick up car. you will have a lot of fun, Bill

the falls

Bill Barnwell said:

Oh if the track has been outside for more than a week, it needs cleaning, adding a behind the engine electrical pickup car that is electrically tied to the engine will eliminate 99% of you problems example is LGB 2015 and 2017 with powered tender ( although the powered isn’t important )the space that the electrical pick up covers is. A mogul with traverse dirty track, shorts, connection problems, where a 2010 or 2020 wont. Clean weekly with a drywall sander using a scotch bright pad and add a pick up car. you will have a lot of fun, Bill

the falls

Hi, track is all new, never used inside or out. I personally think it’s piko’s cheap track or cheap locos.

Thanks for the tip on the scotch bright, I’ll have to pick up a few.

Thanks

……NOT a fault of the track…probably a short caused by a poor understanding of electricity, and how it applies to two rail, track powered model trains…DC, or DCC…

You need to learn more about ELECTRICITY, and “How to wire a model railroad”.

Show a track plan, and the wiring plan you are using…it might help those that may have answers to your problems.

The pick up shoes can, and sometimes do, touch both rails that terminate in the frog. I solved the issue with my USA F3 by bending the pick up shoes so they angle upward a bit from the inside to the outside. That way the shoe cannot contact both rails that terminate in the frog.

On my LGB Porters and similar sized locomotives, I removed the shoes entirely.

Fred Mills. said:

……NOT a fault of the track…probably a short caused by a poor understanding of electricity, and how it applies to two rail, track powered model trains…DC, or DCC…

Show a track plan, and the wiring plan you are using…it might help those that may have answers to your problems.

Never mind

Fred Mills. said:

OMG, are you really that stupid. lmao, seriously, it’s basically two ovals with one power connector to track. I’m not brain dead, I’ve been around models for over 50 years, and I think I can handle hooking up two wires… that means 1 wire goes to one rail and the other wire to the one that doesn’t have one. Gawd, that’s hard to understand…

Layout was posted on first page of this thread. Read much?

David Maynard said:

The pick up shoes can, and sometimes do, touch both rails that terminate in the frog. I solved the issue with my USA F3 by bending the pick up shoes so they angle upward a bit from the inside to the outside. That way the shoe cannot contact both rails that terminate in the frog.

I was thinking the same thing, I’ll have to watch closer because it does seem to come close to the other rail. I wonder why they need pickup shoes. Just curious since my understanding on how to hookup 2 simple wires to the track is to difficult for me to understand…

I may just bend them back a little.

Thanks

Steve said:

ok, so I need some help. I’ve been testing the layout and I’m having a problem over switches and my two crossovers. What happens, is on occasion once the engines pickup shoes crossover the plastic frog and starts to come in contact with the rail, I get a huge spark and the it triggers my dcc system and shuts down. I have to turn my remote of and then back on… it happens with both locos I have tested. Doesn’t do it all the time. Also, sometimes it’s not as bad as in the first few minutes of this video. It’ll stop and the continue on its way, other times it’ll just stop…

Help, and thanks

Ps, all new track, so it’s not dirty.

You can try some nail polish on the frogs, insulating the tracks back a bit, so the shoes cannot contact the wrong rail.

The nail polish won’t last forever, but will help you prove what the problem is.

I hate skates, but on short wheelbase steamers, especially 0-4-0’s you really need them for good power pickup.

Let us know what you find.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

You can try some nail polish on the frogs, insulating the tracks back a bit, so the shoes cannot contact the wrong rail.

The nail polish won’t last forever, but will help you prove what the problem is.

I hate skates, but on short wheelbase steamers, especially 0-4-0’s you really need them for good power pickup.

Let us know what you find.

Greg

That’s an idea, I’ll test that out tomorrow. Thanks…

Last week I spent a bit of time playing around with one of the old track power loco’s. The attendant power issues - dirty track and wheels - reminded me why I went to battery.

Fred Mills. said:

Fred, that’s a pretty harsh response. You could have said the same thing a bit less abrasively. An incorrect wiring of the layout would not be my first guess, because the trains do run.

David Maynard said:

If you want to keep the shoes (skates), David’s suggestion is spot on. Bend the shoes upward a bit from inside to outside. Your video pretty clearly shows what is happening.

…sorry if it seemed a bit harsh…not meant that way…

Fred