Large Scale Central

Need coal

In my travels I’ve picked up a number of lumps of coal. Some from hiking the unused portions of the EBT, others closer to home on little used branches of the old New Haven RR. To make scale sized lumps I built a breaker - 12x12 plywood box with a concrete paver on the bottom. Put in a few lumps then use my 10x10 tamper to smash it. I’ve also tried putting lumps in an old sock and smashing it with a hammer.

All of my steam locos except Shay #5 run with real coal loads loosely piled on a styrene sheet. I don’t like the look of glued piles. #5 is still the original plastic load because I need the height for electronics.

I used to run loaded hoppers. Pink foam filling the bottom, then a loose pile of coal on top. This make for very realistic material spills during derailments…

I used the aquarium coal and it came out just fine. I would like a chunk of coal from 315 though, that would be very cool

I agree that aquarium coal is the way to go. Works for me…

Best,

TJ

A little bit of Colorado Heaven, Black Gold headed your way if you PM me with an addy.

Dave, can you mail coal? I mean, isn’t it a flammable hazardous material? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

HeHe, well I did not think so when I had a coal stove and would try to actually light it for heat…

Jerry

Ah, ok. I just thought that with all of the goofy regulations out there, that coal might be a regulated hazardous material.