Large Scale Central

Mik2019 Todd Haskins Doodlebug

Yeah it is BIG but what can you do?

Maybe it should be dubed the SS Doodlebug ?

Thanks for the suggestion Rooster but the John Holmes express ?? Too Funny.

The length does make me a bit nervous… That’s what she said… LOL but we can make it work.

I think in this case the Doodlebug is a bit of a joke like calling a big guy “Tiny”

A bit more progress has been made and it is coming along but slowly.

Here is the motor block with its pieced together bachmann side frames. I took 4 and made 2 for this. It will all be painted black when the time comes.

Here it is together and a cow catcher added. There is so much trial and error with building something like this. I lost count on how many times it has been taken apart and then back together.

Next up is to build a control panel and add an operator. Does anyone know which side of the cab the controls were on?

I didn’t find any headlights at the Amherst train show so I will have to make some. I did buy a package of LED lights my first real cost to this build besides $1 on some screws.

Painting/masking is going to be a challenge on this.

What do you guys use to fill in cracks like where the 2 cut bodies attach?

Todd Haskins said: Next up is to build a control panel and add an operator. Does anyone know which side of the cab the controls were on?

Am pretty sure there were exceptions, but as per US railroad standard it would in cars of this size and configuration be the right side as in steam and diesel locomotives by what I’ve seen in photos and diagrams in sources such as these:

Looking forward to seeing the final product Todd. Is there only the one motor block?

Thanks for confirming what I thought Forrest now I can build the panel and fit the operator in the cab. An old Bachmann fireman has got a promotion but I haven’t told him yet he is getting his legs chopped off!

Yes just the one motor block, it was all I had. The rear truck will be wired in to pick up power for it.

Image result for modeling puttyfor the seams … Centerline Hobbies might have it … Testers has one… Bondo maybe…JB weld …

Todd Haskins said:

Thanks for confirming what I thought Forrest now I can build the panel and fit the operator in the cab. An old Bachmann fireman has got a promotion but I haven’t told him yet he is getting his legs chopped off!

Yes just the one motor block, it was all I had. The rear truck will be wired in to pick up power for it.

Welcome! After getting the photo taken and posted I went and paged through the books before putting them back and indeed there were several exceptions to driver/motorman being on right as per the locomotives. About half a dozen examples had position on left side. Sometimes there was a door on right where motorman would have been, sometimes not; I didn’t see description of what made the difference in having a door there or not.

As a point of moderately related trivia, in the later ‘modern doodlebug’ (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)Budd’s RDC, there was both the motorman’s position and a door. Would have to go back and look at that book but I think there was often a panel which could be closed over the controls when not in use.

One power truck all that a fair number of the prototype railcars had. With gas-electric and/or diesel-electric drive it was easy to have both trucks powered if that was desired or required. Steam-powered railcars, and those i.c. powered but with mechanical transmissions, were pretty much limited to just one truck powered.

–> Oh, detail trivia; often sitting right next to the gas or diesel motor, the motorman usually wore earplugs.

Playing in Google found this forum page where there is posted image of a Canadian National railcar which has a motorman’s control position at right side of the front end engine compartment & a control cubicle in same relative position opposite end – with boarding door on that side displaced inboard from carbody corner so as to make room for operator’s compartment; opposite boarding door is in usual location right at carbody corner.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=27942.0

It’s that world famous “There’s a prototype for everything” again! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

This can be found somewhere in my shop …

The North American standard location for engineer, motorman, operator…is on the front right hand position. This is even carried over to subway operators. One of the reasons for the right hand location was that most standard signal locations were on right hand side of the tracks.

Your model is coming along quite well, but where is the location for the radiator cooling system ? Cooling systems were often the weakest part of “Gas-electric” (Doodlebug) type equipment. Too many of such units were prone to overheating, especially when being operated in reverse. Most of them did not have a rear operator’s position. VERY few had both trucks powered, due to the limited capacity of the generator/motor. Most were limited to a single light weight trailing car, or a single reefer, or express car. Canadian Pacific, and Canadian National had many such cars, up until the Bud RDC car was developed. Research into the history of the Gas-electric cars would be of great assistance on your fine model. Some were produced here in Ottawa Canada, by the Ottawa Car Manufacturing Company, who also produced street cars.

The RGS NG had problems with overheating on their famous “Geese”.

Fred Mills

That will be a long one!

Todd Haskins said:

Yeah it is BIG but what can you do?

Maybe it should be dubed the SS Doodlebug ?

Thanks for the suggestion Rooster but the John Holmes express ?? Too Funny.

The length does make me a bit nervous… That’s what she said… LOL but we can make it work.

OK then …Why not call it the “Barrier Bug” considering the Cape is one of the largest in the world?

I wanna see it do the 5’ DIAMETER (2.5 radii) you did say diameter? …Whether it looks right or not I wanna see it! Now if you meant 10’ diameter and 5’ radii then you will have “zero” issues

Todd Haskins said:

I had planned on making it 30" to match my scratched passenger cars but it grew a bit and is now 32" long. I haven’t tested it on track but I built enough swing into the front truck that it should be able to negotiate a 5’diameter curve.

It is going to look totally ridiculous doing it but it should make it.

Like I said I want to see it !

This project has been moving along at a slow pace but it is coming along but still tons to do before the deadline.

I put the Bug together and set up some test track to make Rooster happy and here it is.

OK … Make sure you save that video for the folks that say it CANNOT BE DONE…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I also saw exactly what I was thinking (a way to hide the seams) perfect!! Them radiators can be a bitch to make. Cheater methods are on the forums though.

Good luck !

That looks a lot like something called success.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

That looks a lot like something called success.

I’ll have to agree with that!

That…is totally awesome!

Sweet!..

Splicing the coaches to make a lllooonnnggg carbody looks just right, very nice!

Thanks guys, I’m glad you approve of my project so far.

There has been more progress made but nothing that exciting to report. Watching paint dry is like well, about as exciting as it sounds.

I did make 2 vents using quarter round styrene stacked up with a frame around it I also found some of that putty stuff John Caughey recommended to fill a few cracks in the body and roof.

The Bachmann windows have been trimmed to fit the new body but I still need to cut some plexi for the cab. I had 2 headlights from broken Bachmann locos that found their way onto the Doodle Bugger, one at the front and one in the rear and a bell that is yet to be placed.

Todd Haskins said: … onto the Doodle Bugger, …

Would a bigger Doodlebug be a Doodlebigger?