Large Scale Central

Metric Crescent Wrench

David Maynard said:

Laughing at someone else’s frustration is cruel. I just don’t get the joke, nor see the point.

To this day this is how my boy still opens a can. He taught himself a few years ago to open a can left handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjs4mDWy4O8

You get the joke or see the point now Maynard?

Get one of these, it works great and a LOT less mess:

Chef’s Star Smooth Edge Automatic Electric Can Opener

available on Amazon. Works for lefties, too. (I am one). Maynard has a good point, but I suspect we all like to feel superior at some point. (Hey, I have no peers…only superiors) (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

We sent the guy on a wild goose chase, I guess you had to be there and know this guy who made us all crazy.

Greg

Boomer K. said:

Mike

We used to pull a trick about this on new Airmen coming into the shop from tech-school. Most crescent wrenches are marked on the handle for their length. One side was standard 8" and 10" are common. On the other side they were marked 200mm and 250mm. We would lay one with the standard side up and the other with the metric side up. Jr birdman was then sent to the tool box to get the metric crescent wrench. Protests would ensue resulting in the Sgt walking new guy over and showing him that such a thing did exist, explaining that the difference was how the barrel moved the jaw thus effecting at what intervals the spacing best fit metric or standard. Hilarity reigned…ahh good times.

And if you think that was bad you should have seen what happened when we sent them to the runway manager for 100 yards of flight line or too Security Forces to get a bottle of Caynienpea solution.

In Australia most adjustable wrenches are known as shifting spanners or more commonly as “Shifters” and except for the older ones made before metrification are marked with the metric as per the picture above.

While in the Airforce I sent many an apprentice to the store for cans of prop wash, striped safety paint or to the motor transport mechanics for tins of manifold vacuum, not to mention left hand screwdrivers and the traditional “Long Weight” and of course as mentioned cans of K9P from the police dog section.

This was considered as a right of passage to trademanship.

More recently at a bar I asked the barman for a glass of “Chateau Shoalhaven”.

By way of explanation Shoalhaven City is where I live and the local city council controls the water supply.

What I was really after was a glass of water, but the barman searched the wine selection for about 5 minutes before telling me that they did not stock that variety of wine.

David Maynard said:

Laughing at someone else’s frustration is cruel. I just don’t get the joke, nor see the point.

Clearly you have never spent the evening in chat with Rooster. He invites abuse and it would be impolite to refuse it.

Something about casting the first stone.

David, you have NEVER pulled a joke or prank on someone? (sounds VERY boring)

This guy looked back on it and laughed when he saw the joke…

Greg

I guess in its day it may have been considered a great joke, but today it might be considered as abuse.

The jokes are fine, if there is a limit to them. The problem starts to get out of hand at times, and does become ABUSE…

A good supervisor/ manager, knows very well where to draw the line, but often fails, and that’s the problem.

I guess we all play jokes on others, at one time or another, or make crude remarks, and use crude language. Not everyone appreciates these actions, so we should at all times consider others.

There are people on the other side of the coin, that are considered, “Thin Skinned”, and are overly sensitive to all that crap.

What is the limit…good question…do we really need to even use or simulate the “F” word…what real value is it as an adjective, in chatting or conversation ?..as an example.

Just thoughts…where do YOU draw your line…it would be good to hear your answer, and reasoning.

Fred Mills

Greg, I joke with folks who know me and that I know. But I don’t pull pranks nor so called practical jokes, because they get way out of hand too fast, and someone gets torqued off or hurt.

When I started at Robicon, my second real job, I was sent to get the tape splitter. After wandering around the plant for well over an hour, I ended up in my supervisor’s office having to explain why I was not at my workstation. I was fired a week later. So that joke was real flippen funny, ha ha.

Evidently some people have never been in the military…or the Boy Scouts for that matter.

Left hand smoke shifters, reverse monkey wrenches…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yep, Lunette Hole, Trunion Wrench, Recoil Oil, Bore Blaster,(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)…M102 artillery battalion

Well, if you were fired for wasting an hour because of a prank and you were brand new, then you were well rid of that company and/or supervisor.

We have fun where I work, we work hard but the job needs to have some benefits, or you will never attract good people.

Greg

David Maynard said:

Greg, I joke with folks who know me and that I know. But I don’t pull pranks nor so called practical jokes, because they get way out of hand too fast, and someone gets torqued off or hurt.

Like my brother is still mad 50 years later, as if it was our fault he didn’t have a change of clothes at his wedding reception! He chose to have it near a pool.

50 years of younger brother revenge! Way worth it! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Greg Elmassian said:

Well, if you were fired for wasting an hour because of a prank and you were brand new, then you were well rid of that company and/or supervisor.

We have fun where I work, we work hard but the job needs to have some benefits, or you will never attract good people.

Greg

Yes, I insist on having fun. But not making fun of other people, or inflicting frustration upon them for my own amusement.

In fact I told my boss at Imagistics that “If it aint fun, I aint gonna do it.” He gave me the strangest look…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

I may have been better off without that job. But fresh out of tech school, with student loans to pay, I didn’t think so when I was working at the car wash instead of Robicon.

on my first day as ship’s boy the 2. officer sent me to the engine, to get the key for the compass.

they sent me up with a giant wrench that weighted at least 50 pounds…

i think, these pranks are a kind of ritual, to integrate new team members.