Large Scale Central

MBTA Boise Budds. (RDCs)

(http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bv6JA-zKLU4/VGkjCn1P1rI/AAAAAAAACKs/DFNAACAlWFU/s576/IMG_0226.JPG)

Not exactly North Station, Boston, but we’re having fun!

Jeff that is nice it stands out real nice. i lowed mine 1/4in and turned the trucks around i thank stay with this color but up to you of course

Andy Clarke said:

Jeff, personally, I think the Budd came out great…

Honestly as much as I hate to agree with my Dad I have to this time. I think it looks awesome Jeff!!

Thanks guys!

Richard, How do you go about lowering the RDCs?

Wow, very nice!

not my pic. a gentleman in Hudson sent this to me i do not have a bridge-port so i bolted it all together and used a air cut off wheel to cut the lines. frame is very hard metal just cut air tank legs after.

photo RDCMOD2-1_small_zps80d0f858.jpg

Jeff
They look great!
I would stick with that color theme!

Jeff, Looks awesome great job!!!

Jeff looks awesome. I would stick with the purple. I think your noticing the strength of the purple because of the silver background. Looks right on. I live near Shirley ma. Center and see the “t” all the time. I think you maybe one of a handful g scalers who model them. Will continue to watch the birth of the rest of the train. Good luck.

Joe and Todd,

Thanks for the comments guys! I’ve made a couple changes to the T logo…bigger T and moved it up into the purple stripe. Thankfully the T had about two dozen variations on the paint scheme…so how can I go wrong?

Richard,

That modification picture is great! Your friend did a great job. I’m going to do a similar modification, but I will be adding some coil springs to enable the cars to negotiate more rugged terrain. I had experimented before with basic leaf springs between the truck and frame…although it worked, it added a tiny bit more height to the car. This way I can add suspension and lower the car at the same time.

Next up will be couplers and kickplates. After seeing pictures of RDCs coupled together, I’m amazed by how close they are joined. With our models we are limited by the solid kick plates. Even with 20ft dia curves, I think giving the plates minimal clearance to pass easy other will be as close as can be expected. Sprung kick plates are maybe a bit overboard.

Rockwall Canyon Jeff said:

Next up will be couplers and kickplates. After seeing pictures of RDCs coupled together, I’m amazed by how close they are joined. With our models we are limited by the solid kick plates. Even with 20ft dia curves

I would KILL for 20’ diameter curves!!

You can slam stuff together closer than you think …:wink:

Tinted windows versus frosted windows…tinted wins!

AAR trucks with PIKO 35mm wheels = working suspension and significantly lower car!

Kadee coupler mounted as close as I could get it to go while still working!

tinted windows are all the rage these days !

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Great looking set… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I’ve seen RDCs as part of a consist on a passenger train, in older films. The RDCs would travel with the main consist to a point where they would be cut out to proceed on a different route alone.

Why do you have RDCs being pulled by a locomotive ?

Hi Dan,

In the 1980s the MBTA inherited their RDC cars from the Boston and Maine railroad which was the largest owner of RDCs in the world.  After 30 years of heavy service (some even older), the RDC mechanisms had expired, but the stainless steel car bodies were still viable.  The MBTA sent quite a few of these out to be rebuilt as modern push-pull cars with HEP.  These were later replaced with Comet cab cars and trailers which still serve today.

I chose to model the RDC conversions because I have recently modeled an early MBTA F40PH and the RDCs are the only cars in G scale that are produced.  

Thanks for the explanation. I never cease to learn something new every day.

Those cars came out great and the purple is spot on.

I wonder if one of those old BUDD cars ended up on the Cape?

There is one sitting in the Cape Cod Central RR’s yard that has seen better days.