Large Scale Central

Ladder method? Be kind I'm a newbe to all this

Thanks Brian. Thats what I’m looking for is info.

The trimplank comes in 1x2, 1x3, and other various molding sizes so there’s no ripping necessary. I use the 1x2’s and it’s held up well over this last winter.

(http://www.geocities.com/kenbrunt/layout004.jpg)

(http://www.geocities.com/kenbrunt/layout005a.jpg)

It comes as a shiny white but I spray paint it flat black after I get it formed out on the ground.

Ken,

Do you stake the trimplank into the ground every few feet, or let it float in the ballast?

I don’t know about Ken, but I staked mine down every few feet. When the track is elevated, I stake it down about every 18" or so. The ladder will hold the shape of the curve pretty well, but the stakes allow you to establish a leveling point.

Tufboard also comes in a 1"x2", so no ripping required. I used 1 1/4" PVC pipe for my stakes since most of my raised track was curved and you don’t have to worry about proper orientation that way.

-Brian

I tried using stakes but they always ended up being just a bit outa kilter, so now I just lay it on top of the stone.

Gents,

Went to HD today to pick up some more Tuf Board to complete phase one. I paid 4.95 for 1 1/2 x 8’. When I purchased the first batch last year, I didn’t think I paid that much. What are you guys paying? It must be the oil prices and all of the other junk that’s going on now.

That’s what it costs on the East coast. Blame the $4/gallon diesel costs for most price hikes. Everything is going up. Normally I could give folks a quote good for 6 months or so. That ain’t so anymore…

-Brian

Update: All the spline survived the winter intact. The track looks good, a couple spots that need re-leveing, and one part where I tripped over the track, caught my toe on the ties, and ripped out about 4’ of rail from one section of track.

Oh well!

Bob McCown said:
Update: All the spline survived the winter intact. The track looks good, a couple spots that need re-leveing, and one part where I tripped over the track, caught my toe on the ties, and ripped out about 4' of rail from one section of track.

Oh well!

Glade it made it. Looks like this is the way to go. Now All I have to do is hope I can get it all done by the 4th of July when the family is all in.

Side note Bob. Do you know why my site is not coming up on the webring? I have the correct script on my site but I do not come up in your list of sites. Thanks
Geoff

If you soil is not rocky, you can get a bulb auger from Ace Hardware(or online) that you can use with your drill to drill a hole down 24" or so for your stakes. I got one to redo a section where I could not pound the stake down far enough-hit a hard clay area. So, hope to get the ladder back in that section this spring. Jerry