Large Scale Central

Just the begining

Chuck, I have heard the expression. I just don’t have a wife to try it out on. My mom is one of those types who is happy only when she wants to be.

Thanks David and Chuck!

Chuck you are correct! If mamma isn’t happy then nobody in the house is happy. lol.
I plan on getting the inside wall along the fence built and then the roadbed for the track. After that I will probably have to get the laundry room refinished. The good thing is I have the month of July off, so I can get quite a bit done then!

If mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy. Of grandma ain't happy, run!

lol @ if grandma ain’t happy. True…very true!

No update from this weekend. I couldn’t get any work done.
I am posting a pic because, I like pics. :slight_smile:
It has rained for DAYS here! Off and on for 4 days so far. And the forecast calls for rain everyday for the next week. Plus, I think I won’t be home this coming weekend either. :frowning:

Anywy, a quick pic from the east side of the driveway.

Quick check in with an update. Made a trip to lowes and picked up some supplies for the railroad. I will hopefully start work on the layout next weekend. I will probably start on the inside fence first then do the roadbed for the track the follwoing weekend. Anyway…This weekend I got part 1 of the patio done.

Here I have all the stones laid out. I had to raise the whole area several inches before I could even start with the stones. I hauled in some dirt and tamped it down. I’d forgotton how much of a pain it is to lay them out. It’s like a dang jig saw puzzle.

Here is after the leveling sand was put down and the stones are in their final spots.

Here after I started applying the polymeric joint sand.

Here’s the finished product all wetted down locking in the stones.

One more shot of it.

So, more progress. Just not train related. I still have part 2 of the patio to do too. It will be at the end of the carport and cover the area to the front of the yard barn. I’m not going to it until I have the track down. That way I can see how to make the grade crossing. Anyway, some progress. Work is slow when you are a one man crew. lol.

Well…it won’t stop raining here. I did manage to get a little done today between the storms. Nothing major, just cutting the rebar for the roadbed support.

Anyway…nothing to exciting but a few pics. I still need to pick up a few switches. I’ve changed my track plan more times than I can count. I’m sticking with this one. lol.

I may have to get more blocks. I wanted my track to be at a certain height, and it’s above the retaining wall, by about another block. Figures. I think somebody had said earlier in this thread they would go 3 blocks high. I may have to for it to look right.

How the sky’s seem to look around here anymore.

Just some rebar.

Just working my way around

That’s it. Nothing impressive. I plan on making a trip to Lowe’s again this saturday for more cement board and rebar. The plan is to have it all framed up for the roadbed by the end of next weekend. That’s if my wife doesn’t have other plans for me. lol.

Lookin good Matt! I’ll stop by my next time down to Norris City.

Thanks Robby! Sound good!

Very nice work… but one question is what is that stuff above the trees???

Not looing good… lol.

Noel, that’s how the dang sky has looked for weeks here. I think it’s officially monsoon season. It’s been a strange spring. Just been getting what I can done between storms.

Your fence you stained looks good.

Thanks Mike!

A minor update. I didn’t get a chance to do much this week. Between the constant rain, my wife’s birthday, my daughter’s birthday, and father’s day tomorrow it has been a LOT of family time. I also had a 65ft pine cut down and I hauled off. Also had some driveway work done. Luckily I’m off on vacation next month, so I should get some building done. That is after I get the laundry room done. lol.

Anyway. I did get started building the roadbed structure and doing a little back filling.

This is as far as I made it that day, before I saw lightening. Shortly after that I packed up.

Another minor update. A couple nights ago I got home late. It was already dark, but I wasnt’ tired, so I worked on the railroad.
It does look like I will get all day tomorrow to work on it! As far as I know, I have no honey-do’s! :wink:

Anyway.
I got some rock down and tamped for the roadbed. Nothing to exciting or major.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. It was night time and I only had light from my carport.

Layed some track out on it, to see what it would look like. I’m liking it. Still will have to ballast the track, but that’s a ways down the road yet.

Nice start…

Looks good Matt

If you keep working late into the night you’ll have trains running in no time! Looking good so far.

Matt, you are well on your way to building an empire. I started with a bobcat and trying to eyeball somewhat of a level railroad area!

Keep going, and keep posting photos!

Thanks Guys!!

After finishing cutting out the driveway Saturday morning I got to work on the railroad. I started cutting the rebar for the cement board support.

Started marking off border with the rebar. I also put some where the retaining wall against the house will be. I forgot to take a picture of that.

…and back around the other side

That’s pretty much where the work stopped. I had a good friend and his family stop by. While we were visiting my gravel showed up.

Then after they left my wife wanted to go run some errands in Carmi. I didn’t get home until after 10. But, I did manage to shovel a little gravel.

I’m hoping to get time tonight to start cutting the cement board. Robby swung by and dropped of my switches for my siding. I’m not sure I like how I have them laid out. I think I may need another left hand switch. I’ll make a post about it in the problem solving forum to get some opinions.