Large Scale Central

Just the begining

Jon Radder said:

I would advise anyone who is thinking about building a layout to do exactly what Matt has done. Nothing gets the creative juices flowing better than to actually see the train running. My “Just Do It” layout was quite a bit uglier and I never ended up using that area, but it got me moving in the right direction…

What is this? The other side of the house and property?

Rick - Yes. This was the “North Slope” original land acquisition for the RR. Plans changed after an indoor layout was built and Matt discovered the easy escape through the window. Plan B was this would be a destination but at the moment the front steps are still an impassable obstacle.

Jon Radder said:

Rick - Yes. This was the “North Slope” original land acquisition for the RR. Plans changed after an indoor layout was built and Matt discovered the easy escape through the window. Plan B was this would be a destination but at the moment the front steps are still an impassable obstacle.

Jon,

Nothing some 1/29 scale TNT can’t fix. I think you need a tunnel.

A tunnel has been in the planning stages for a very long time. Just waiting for the stone and concrete steps to deteriorate to the point they need replacing. Almost there after this winter.

Nothing too exciting to report yet. I went and picked up some retaining wall blocks today. For what ever reason I didn’t take a trailer. So, I got to make two trips. Tomorrow I’m going back to get some more blocks and I will for sure take a trailer. Anyway, just a few pics. Nothing really exciting.

Load 1

Got them unloaded and had to head back for the rest. Please ingnore the mess. We just bought this house a few months ago and are under construction. The roofers and gutter guys just left last week.

Second load.

Got them all unloaded. That sure felt like a lot more blocks that what’s pictured!

Went ahead and started test fitting them. I got them all down, but it was too dark for a picture. This is just the start.

Sorry that last pic was blurry. I was usining my phone and it was getting dark. I will head back tomorrow and get enough to finish it out what I have in mind.

Nothing fancy, just an update. Hope to be running trains in a month or so…work and weather permitting.

…winking…

Matt,

My back hurts just looking at all those blocks. :slight_smile: Progress looks great!

Bob C.

Im excited… By the way now we all know what Matt looks like (reflection in pickup window lol…

Shawn, so are you saying his anonymity is blown?

Matt, I don’t envy you the work, I have done projects like that before. But it looks like you have a nice space and are off to a good start.

good start!

Looks like you’re off to a good start. Oh, and if you don’t want those flat rocks you can mail them to me.

Terry

Don’t get discouraged Matt. It was not too long ago I did the same thing, and the laying and filling are back breaking work.

One bit of advice that I learned the hard way. I’m not too dumb, I did it 3 times. After you fill behind the block, put down newspaper, and then groundcloth. The groundcloth will allow water through, but suppresses weeds. It will not stop them, they are aggressive little boogers! This will make your weed problem at least manageable. Then whatever you decide to put on top of the cloth will have the only weed seeds in it.

lol. Yeah, I noticed my reflection, but I figured my face was safe here.

Thanks for all the compliments guys! I’m headed to get more stones now. Hopefully this is it. lol.

Sorry Terry. I’m using those sandstones too.

Thanks for the tip Lou!

Minor update today.

More blocks.

The shot of the area.

Back retaining wall almost done.

Progress will be slow. I won’t get a chance to do anymore work until next Sunday. Looks like it was wishful thinking I’d be running trains in a month.

Are you backfilling to the fence, or laying track on top of the blocks?

I am going to build a short interior fence, along my privacy fence, out of concrete board that way no dirt or rock touches the fence. It will all be back filled eventually. I’m using Mike Dorsch’s method.

Also, the track actually continues on straight where the stones curve back at the yard barn. The track will circle back and come around the side of the barn.

After doing some dirt work and more measuring…it looks like I need some more blocks. DOH!

Matt, looks like the beginning of a nice empire there.

Thanks David!

I managed to get a couple hours to work on the railroad tonight. I finished the other retaining wall where the big bridge is going to go. Now looking at it I don’t like how the wall on the left turned out. So, I’m going to fix that this weekend. That’s after I get…yep, more blocks. ugh. lol. I hope the store got more in. If not, I will be on the hunt for some that match.
Anyway, here’s a couple quick pics.

I have similar blocks with backfill, I am on a slope. Wife is after me to build up a few more blocks to avoid flooding. We live on a tidal river, and since Irene and Sandy, the tides are higher. During Sandy, the tracks were under water 12-18".