Large Scale Central

Jan's and Ric's Great Adventure 2019

Were up in Brockville ON for several days vacation. We saw you last year too, about the same place. This is too funny.

Bob McCown said:

Were up in Brockville ON for several days vacation. We saw you last year too, about the same place. This is too funny.

I remember seeing that post…LMAO

I’m thinking the the Golding Luvnasium should have and LSC logo vinyl wrap on it so we can all spot it on it’s travels.

Rooster said - “I’m thinking the the Golding Luvnasium should have and LSC logo vinyl wrap on it so we can all spot it on it’s travels.”

Just read this and thought it could be a good idea. Advertisement for the site, and anything to cover all this black and all the heat it creates. Read this to Jan and she responded with an immediate “NO”. I think this is how men have been controlled throughout history. All the great ideas get squashed before they even get started. And so civilization was created.

Joe Cavanaugh’s 1 inch empire is very impressive. Reminds both Jan and I of Rod Johnston’s railroad up in North Bay. This is a great hobby! You meet so many great people in all scales. The adventure continues.

Just got word, Larry Herget’s spouse Carol passed during the night. They were the creators of Ozark Minatures and always big in live steam and Largescale stuff. Good people, sorry to hear of this,

5 July, 2019 - Metamora, Michigan on Bill Hayes’s Michigan Central. Arrived on Tuesday 2 July after Jan had a brush with the honorable men and women of the Border Patrol for trying to sneak tomatoes and grapes from New York through Canada and then bring them in to Michigan. I think she was saved by her constant protector and guard dog, Kassie, who promptly blew lunch when the Border Guards put her in a cage. That dog is crafty and will use any form of diversion to protect Jan. Once Jan was acquitted from any felony charges, we were allowed to continue. Oh yeah, there was the part where I helped clean up the cage. Truly feel sympathy for what the Border Guards go through on each and every day to protect our freedom. We’ll see if Jan learned her lesson. Yeah, right.

Have been working with Bill, ballasting the Detroit Yard on his Michigan Central. However, yesterday, we did celebrate the 4th by a visit to Henry Ford’s Greenfield Village (scratch that one off the bucket list) and rode behind the Russian boilered 4-4-0 and got to see the Forney up close sitting in the ready at the Round House. Great Model T’s and early American Touring Coaches, plus lots of old stake trucks and draft horses. Great place to spend a warm summer day in early America.

We will be here until Monday and then head to Grand Rapids to get a new air conditioner installed on the coach. Back to Finger Lakes Live Steamers next week to prep for the coming American Invasion and the FLLS 50th Anniversary celebration on the first of August. Gotta keep moving north to squelch this “Summer Heat” and find that ideal Summer weather of 60 degree nights and 75 - 80 degree days. Its there, you just have to look for it. Until then, we survive with a little lemonade and rum (purely for medicinal reasons) and an occasional brewsky to prevent dehydration.

Ric;

It hit 34C here today with high “Humility”…but I survived and managed to get a lot accomplished.

Fred Mills

Ric Golding said:

rode behind the Russian boilered 4-4-0

Was it boilered or only the hammered jacket ?

Ric Golding said:

Oh yeah, there was the part where I helped clean up the cage.

Truth ?

Ric Golding said:

5 July, 2019 - Metamora, Michigan on Bill Hayes’s Michigan Central. Arrived on Tuesday 2 July after Jan had a brush with the honorable men and women of the Border Patrol for trying to sneak tomatoes and grapes from New York through Canada and then bring them in to Michigan.

In Russia you could possibly be shot for such !

Ric Golding said:

… Jan had a brush with the honorable men and women of the Border Patrol…

A few weeks ago I smuggled an apple pie down to Ken’s. People from Canada are nothing but trouble.

They talk funny, too.

It was good, too…:wink:

Fred - “High Humility” - like that. Its a good description of how I feel when I feel like I’m melting.

Rooster - I guess it was the boiler jacket, that shiny, almost metallic, light blue color.

John - Apple Pie, one of my favorite food groups.

In spite of high humidity, and 28C temperature, we had a great turnout for our weekly operations on the IPP&W.

The Storm Gods held off Mother Nature’s rash of rain storms, so that everyone had a great time. A full test of the newly upgraded Aristo Stream Liner passenger cars was staged, along with testing two Aristo Heavy Weight passenger cars, now with body mounted couplers. We got rid of he old 6 wheeled trucks, and the HW cars now ride on Bachmann passenger trucks. They track exceptionally well, with no derailment problems. We even intermixed them with the Stream Liner cars, with great results. The tests involved all possible actions, besides just running in circles. We switched the cars, running them forward and in reverse (Being pushed in a long string, through multiple WR turnouts, and S curves)

Ric…look for Mike’s Blog, which will show up very soon…a preview of the Invasion.

Fred

Ric Golding said:

27 May, 2019 - Jan and I rode the Huckleberry Railroad today, riding behind engine number 152. This was at Crossroads Village on the outskirts of Flint, Michigan. Great day, that included a ride on the Genesee Belle on the Flint River. A great experience with great weather. Engine 152 came from the White Pass Railroad and replaced 464, which is in the shops for rebuild. Even an EBT hopper still in original colors on the yard tracks.

I’ve know of the Huckleberry Railroad for years. But not being from this area, I didn’t realize it was so close I’d recommend this railroad ride, Stern wheel riverboat and early American park for anyone. Very enjoyable!

Was there several years ago with grands kids, They loved it. Later RJD

Well I was a couple of weeks ago just behind you getting to Michigan. To bad could have met up. Later RJD

18 July, 2019

RJ - keep chasing us and you’ll eventually catch us. We go a little slower each year.

Yesterday was OPs in Belleville, Ontario. Today, we move north to the shores of the Rideau Canal in Manotick, Ontario. We will establish camp there at Doug’s estate and advance daily to the Starwood compound in Nepean. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Prepartions are underway to handle the unusual, extreme heat that has settled upon the Ottawa Valley. Or as we call it back in Southern Illinois “Fair Week”. Its always hot during “Fair Week”.

25 July, 2019 - Today, we travel to Littleton, Ma. for the weekend of TrainOps 2019. It is 3 days of 3 very great and very different railroads!

Last week was the American Invasion in Canada, I believe it can be said, it was well reported on. Our weeks are filled with preparation for the 50th Anniversary event here at Finger Lakes Live Steamers, but weekends are spent enjoying Large Scale Operations. If you haven’t done Ops, if you are unfamiliar with these events, if you want to start participating, get in touch with Al, Bob or Stan and ask if you can come. If you need a ride from an airport or a train station, ask.

These are great events in this hobby.

The “Adventure” continues.

Ric Golding said:

Rooster - I guess it was the boiler jacket, that shiny, almost metallic, light blue color.

“Russia Iron” is a trade name for a particular treatment of wrought iron sheet. It is so branded because it originated in the Ural Mountains of Russia. The basic manufacturing process involved stacking more than 100 iron sheets together, interspersed with wood charcoal, heating to forge temperature, and hammering the stack with a steam hammer. The stacks were then broken apart, the sheets inspected, and the process repeated until the desired results were achieved (high polish, consistent finish.) There is some debate about the exact specifics of the process and what transformations were actually happening to the surface of the metal; however, the general consensus is that the polished surface had a black-oxidized surface, similar to gun bluing. The color hues would vary between source mines, generally ranging from dark to light grey in neutral light. The high polish would further skew the color hue by reflecting the color of whatever was around (blue sky for example.) “Russia Iron” provided a rust resistant locomotive boiler jacket prior to the advent of paint enamels that could withstand the high temperatures of this job. The highest grade, which was exceptional in color and finish, was used for locomotive boiler jackets and engine cylinder lagging. Lower grades were used for other products which required similar rust resistance such as stove pipe and roofing. In later years the trade name “Russia Iron” was used commonly for many products, both imported and domestic, bearing the characteristics of the original.

I don’t even like steam locomotives

" Rooster " said:

Yes, we know. You are your father’s son.

" Rooster " said:

So you like them newfangled, cantankerous, unproven diesel=lectric thangs. Steam is a proven technology.