Large Scale Central

Jan and Ric's Great Adventure - 2018

Salsa was to spicy??? You mean that New Mexico ketchup I gave you?

Come on I had to start you rookies off with something mild like Monroe’s but next time we will take it up a notch.

Also made in New Mexico.

A nod to Arizona for this little firebomb. Don’t be fooled by those hipster terms like “gluten free” and “organic”.

Of course the ultimate goal is this…

Some day you will be able to eat with a spoon right out of the jar. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

In Florida I saw some called " Colon Cleanser " (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

Some day you will be able to eat with a spoon right out of the jar. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Not really. The spoon will either run away yelping like a scalded dog, or dissolve. That’s why the really good stuff is in a glass jar. Glass can stand up to it.

Ric Golding said:

Boomer’s Salsa was a hit at last night’s dinner.

I must have missed the part where Ric said the Salsa was too spicy ?

The Salsa does have a kick. Had some last night. Sinus cavities are totally clear.

The Golding Family Vacation for 2018 is in the books. The younger members have headed back to their lives and we are in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan working our way east to Finger Lakes. Temps in Carlyle are unpleasant, so we are north and working our way along the edge of the Great Lakes. With GOD’s will, we will be in the Finger Lakes area by the weekend.

Salsa must be working, the Upper P Mosquitoes land on my arm and fall off dead. Big suckers and vicious attacking in sunshine in the mid day. Past an interesting “Soo Line” yard yesterday wirh CN switch engines at the service facility on the east end of Escanaba. Covered hopper was up on rack and being used as sand storage for the engines.

If your going far enough west to Iron wood there are some interesting small RR museums and even some iron ore cars on display that where C&NW. Later RJD

Spending most of the Summer at the Finger Lakes Live Steamers. This has become our northern base camp. Made it to “the Invasion” and back, last week.

Thursday, we will head for Baahston and TrainOPs 2018.

Yesterday, FLLS hosted the National Railroad Historical Society Syracuse Division picnic (I hope I got that right) along with it being the FLLS Model Railroad Open Invitational Run Day.

Showed off the LargescaleCentral Traveling Outhouse Award to a select few. I was told some would think it was funny and some would be disgusted and embarassed. Anyway, it was shown to a select group. Lots of laughs and one of the guys was aware of its existance and is a silent lurker here. I told him to join up and come out of the closet, but that’s his call.

Hey Ric

Were you eastbound on 90 in NY on June 28th, somewhere a bit east of Syracuse? We were westbound and saw a rig that looked a lot like yours…

Yeah, that sounds about right. Towing a black Silverado pickup, now. Of course, we pulled in to Doug Matheson’s driveway and there is one parked at the neighbor’s house. Different model, but same paint scheme. Took us a while to see the difference. They are getting more popular and they really don’t change much year after year, so quite a few around.

We’ll be traveling east on I-90 around Syracuse early Thursday morning. GOD willing and the creek don’t rise to high. AndyC just told me he’s arriving here at Finger Lakes about 2:30 this afternoon, so all bets are off.

Well its August 21st and probably time for an update. We are back at the Finger Lakes Live Steamers. The club has a group of Pre-1916 autos coming in Friday, so we are here to help with the hosting. Thunderstorms predicted in the afternoon of Friday, so we’ll see what really happens.

We’ve been home for our son’s 40th birthday, camping weekend. Good time. Got some HO Ops in while in the Southern Illinois area and even some work on the HO Manufacturer Railroad System switching puzzle in our spare room at home. That midwest heat would make a Nun wear her Air Conditioned Habit.

We had lots of fun at the TrainOps2018 in the Boston area and appreciate the hospitality at Al’s, Bob and Martha’s and Stan and Debbie’s. GREAT RAILROADS!

Our plans are to be here at FLLS until Monday, then head for the Michigan Central Railroad in Metamora, Michigan for Labor Day Weekend Ops on a 7.5 inch railroad. FLLS tracks are 7.25 inches between the rails, so its time to convert the equipment back to the 7.5 gauge for running in Michigan and down in Florida for the Winter.

We have one more trip planned for coming up to New York at the end of September for their Fall Open House on September 22, but we got OPs on the Bluestone Southern on the 15-16 of September and then on October 13-14, so its going to be a busy Fall.

Its all good and great to visit with friends. Hope to see you down the road.

Safe driving, young fellow…

Fred

He did look young without that beard… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Its Labor Day Weekend and we are outside of Metatmora, Michigan for Card Ops on the 7 .5 1/8 scale Michigan Central Railroad of Bill Hays. Truly one of the great ride on railroads in the USA. Lots of our friends are here from Florida and points in between. Got to help set out cars for the Ops with Joe Scales, yesterday. We used his coal fired Consolidation. My steaming skills are improving, but every time I really think I’m doing well, I’m back to sitting in a siding trying to build pressure up. New twist yesterday was coming back in to Detroit yard with absolutely no brakes. We had worked the battery/air brake car so hard, there was nothing left to help stop the train. A small air leak was adding to the problem. Thank GOD for Johnson Bars, beats dragging feet like you’d have to do on my little Crab.

Currently 12 campers in Bill’s Yard and its suppose to double by tomorrow. Great fun! Hope all enjoy the last Summer Holiday Weekend. For those protecting our way of life, Thank You and GOD’s blessings.

September 5 - The Michigan Central Labor Day Ops Weekend is complete and we have moved on to Grand Rapids, Michigan. Need to get a little work done on the coach this morning and then up to the White Creek 7.5 inch Ride on Railroad, this afternoon. This will be a new one for us. The adventure continues.

http://www.whitecreekrr.com/

Nice area. By brother lived in Muskegeon, not far from Grand Rapids for a few years in the 70’s. When I got into the sound business we went up to GR to tour the plant of a speaker manufacturer that I had gotten a dealership for.

Ah. Living the dream.

Thanks for reading my rants, guys. The White Creek Railroad was very interesting and I think we will put it on our extended visiting list next year. Big excitement to me was that they ran 6 passenger trains an hour and they went many different routes, some overlapping, allowing transfer of passengers. Lots of freights for the car card/waybill operation of placing and picking up rolling stock. Huge property built on the edge of a retirement or summer housing development. It looked like the development was under the same ownership, since you went through it to get to the railroad. The railroad was around a large set of lakes and was entirely surrounded by a 6 foot high chain link fence to keep poachers, snow mobiles and 4 wheelers out. The engine house/winter facilities were any hobbiest’s dream. The trees were huge and their was a pile harvested that looked like there was a side business of selling timber. Quite impressive and something to look forward to in our future travels.

We are now outside of Bloomington, Illinois, prepping for a grandson’s band concert in the rain tomorrow evening. Grandparent’s Day is Sunday and for that we need to be in Carlyle. Check mail, pick up parts, participate in the Bluestone Southern Ops, next week and then hit the road for one last time this Year to Finger Lakes Live Steamers for the Fall colors. Already making plans for the winter in Florida. As Bruce said, “Living the Dream”, that is until it becomes a nightmare. We are very blessed.

Is there some other definition of “rants”? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Sounds more like “posts of a great trip” to me…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

I’ll echo Bruce on that.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)