Large Scale Central

In-ko-pah Railroad: New pics

Today the In-ko-pah Railroad was “invaded” by distinguished guests from LargeScaleCentral and myLargeScale! We had Mike Reilly, Randy Stone, J.J., Greg E., and Greg’s father-in-law. Afterwards we went to Chili’s for lunch. All in all, a very fun time!:

Also, here are a couple new pics of the layout. In this first shot, a train is seen from below as it crosses the big trestle over Serenity Canyon:

Here’s a shot from late in the day as a freight train crosses a stone arch bridge at the west end of the line. Above it is the Princess Shilo Mine. The Cliffside Mine can be seen in the distance at the top:

Enjoy!

For the past few months I haven’t been able to get any modeling done, but recently I had a little time and felt the need to work outdoors. I’ve long planned to put a small depot between the tracks at the town of Dos Manos, so I decided to do some prep work for that.

Until now, the tracks going through that area have just been on dirt, rocks and ballast. Even on the two stone bridges, there was a couple inches of soil under the tracks. I wanted to replace this with a concrete base, and also create a concrete foundation and sidewalks for the depot.

In this shot I’ve removed the track at the edge of the layout, dug out the ballast under it, and poured some concrete into the bridge. I used 1/4" hardware cloth to reinforce the concrete. The concrete is actually a mix of vinyl concrete patcher and high strength mortar mix:

I built up the track base, foundation, and sidewalk a little at a time, in sections. I also left a depression in the middle of the foundation – this will be used to hold the wiring for the depot’s lights. There is a 3/8" copper tube used as a conduit for the wiring. Then I marked the position of the tracks onto the concrete base, and built two forms out of foam core art board. These were positioned on the base in preparation for pouring the sidewalk:

Here’s how it looked the next morning after I’d removed the forms:

Here’s how it looks with some ballast added to two of the tracks. I may use a different colored ballast on the track closest to the town buildings, or I may glue on timbers between the rails, like at a grade crossing:

The depot foundation is still rough. I won’t finalize it until I have designed the depot, and know exactly what the dimensions will be:

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got for now.

Outstanding work, Ray.

Ohh Boy I can’t waite to see how this comes out!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Way back when I first envisioned this depot, it would have been one of my first buildings. I used an antiquated 3D modeling program to create a couple renderings of what I had in mind:

However, at the time I decided that I should wait until had some more experience with structures, before attempting something as relatively complex as the depot. I’m glad I waited, because I know a lot more about what I’m doing now, than I did then. I will be using different materials than I had originally planned to use.

Today I put together a crude foam core mockup of the depot and placed it on the layout, to help me get a feel for how it will look and fit into the town. The center part of the building will be two stories. Both that section, and the west wing, will have peaked roofs covered with Spanish tiles. I decided to add an east wing which will be an open, shaded waiting area. This will have a flat roof supported by arches. Here are some photos from various angles:

What do you think?

Roof’s gonna leak. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

I like it a lot. I really like the idea of the shaded open waiting area, especially for the desert.

Ray, it looks to me like that should fit in beautifully. Definitely keep us posted on how you build this out. I’d like to do something similar myself, and I wouldn’t mind learning from you.

Mannnn Even his mockup looks better than anything I could build! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Thanks, guys!

This will be fun to watch the development of this depot. Keep up the beautiful work!

Very nice, Ray. What are you using to cut those shapes? Looks great, whatever it is; mine never come out that nice.

Thanks!

Bruce, I just used a standard, #11 Xacto knife to cut out the foam core board. It’s not as perfect as the photos make it look, but of course for a mockup it doesn’t have to be perfect.