Large Scale Central

I'm being dragged, kicking and screaming,

John Passaro said:

David Maynard said:

Yea, Photo Shop can do all kinds of things …

In the world of art I live and work in, digital cameras and Photo Shop turned everyone into a regular Ansel Adams (except with oversaturated color…boo, hiss). Now it’s almost impossible to make a living as a photographic artist. Good thing I’m a painter ?!

Have you tried digital painting in 3-D??? Ever seen “Tilt Brush” This program sells for <$20.

Occulus Rift is <$350 (<$200 on C/L) and a gaming computer powerful enough to run it is ~$600 lightly used.

Todd, you have got to be kidding me. It’s amazing. I’m not exactly shocked to see all the artists featured are about twenty!!

John Passaro said:

David Maynard said:

Yea, Photo Shop can do all kinds of things …

In the world of art I live and work in, digital cameras and Photo Shop turned everyone into a regular Ansel Adams (except with oversaturated color…boo, hiss). Now it’s almost impossible to make a living as a photographic artist. Good thing I’m a painter ?!

But, isn’t over-saturated colour a way to (poorly) mimic Kodachrome?

Steve Featherkile said:

David, the difference is cameras made in Japan by superb technicians, and those made in China, or Vietnam, by makeesee, makeedo. The Japanese ones go to camera stores, and the others go to Costco or Best buy. So I’ve been told.

Yeah, I s’pose Photoshop can do geewhiz stuff, but i take great pleasure in working in the darkroom. I take pleasure in being a Luddite.

Steve I would to if I had the money, space and experience to play in a dark room. I enjoyed what little exposure I had to that art when I was in high school. (pun intended)

As for Luddite, yea, I am old school. But I kinda had to get into digital photos so I could share them online. For some reason my computer couldn’t use my Polaroids.

Steve, I don’t remember if the V600 comes with specific holders for larger negatives/transparencies, but you can scan one up to 8 x 11 (or a little larger)

The big key is the scanner has settings for reflective (copying opaque items) and transparent (like color slides)… apparently you cannot scan a color slide in a normal scanner.

Greg

Greg, the more I read about the V600, the more I like it. Thank you for introducing me to it.

Steve ,

I will tell you that the scanners that do have a door for provisions of scanning old slides and negatives is very cool but I will warn you it is quite dauntless and mind numbing till you crop and do what you need to do after scanning 10 slides 6hrs later you might be burned out.

Honestly the electronic age is mind numbing especially when it comes to saving old stuff. So buy a camera now and take pics to post LSC.