Large Scale Central

Idler Car Coupler Height

Yea, Kadee came out with the new couplers after I have converted my fleet and expanded my fleet to the limits of my storage areas, AND stocked up on dozen or so spare couplers. The dirty rats.

Tom,

Here’s a little more information on my coupler modification. The Link & Pin coupler pocket is from Ozark Miniatures. As shown in the photo below, here’s what I did to make the Kadee (789 or 907) knuckle work. I just trimmed down the tabs on either side of the shank and glued in a short piece of 3/16" styrene tubing. That’s it I believe.

Hope this helps.

Doc Watson

I do like the coupler your doing Don. And that certainly is an option. My thought was a single little car to throw in my carry box that can be used at others layouts. This is a good idea though. I will consider it.

Fred,

I totally get what your saying. And your advice will be what I will likely end up doing. Since most of my guys stick to the KD standard that means I can play nice with all of them and also will be able to haul my own equipment. On the odd chance I run into an odd ball Oh well.

Thanks everyone.

Another question. Is the stock Bachmann truck mounted coupler height the same as or at least close to the KD height? If someone is running Bachmann standards is that radically different?

Devon, The standard Bachmann cars’ couple heights are lower than Kadee standard. However their Spectrum cars have couplers at Kadee heights .

Doc

Devon, I have found that each manufacture’s cars vary from the KaDee standard at least a little. That is why KaDee puts shims in their coupler kits. So spring for a KaDee height gauge, and you will not have to guess at what the proper height should be.

Devon Sinsley said:

Another question. Is the stock Bachmann truck mounted coupler height the same as or at least close to the KD height? If someone is running Bachmann standards is that radically different?

The Botchman truck mounted coupler is too low to mate with any coupler mounted at Kadee standard. They may shake hands, but it won’t be an embrace, and the first stress, like taking up the slack, will cause them to let go.

I have an idea. Any reason why a transition car can’t be a single truck with the truck mounted coupler and then a small platform or what ever that will have my link and pin connection so that it swivels on the truck. For example if I attend an ops session that is Bachmann standard can i have a bachmann truck with the bachmann mounted coupler with some sort of “car” on the truck that swivels like normal on the bolster that I can attach my link and pin pocket to. I mean I already have a Bachmann truck with knuckle, one with a hook and loop, and aristo with knuckle and one with hook and loop. Add a draft box for Kadee and the whole thing would be interchangeable with what ever by swapping the truck. Any reason why I shouldn’t like this idea. Make it a traveling out house.

That’ll work.