Large Scale Central

I’m guessing Phoenix is gone

There was a post on FB yesterday, that they are still in business

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2047520848818522/posts/3243233169247278/

For those of you who are FB-less:

“Yes! Phoenix Sound is still running the business and sharing the building with Andrew’s 3D printing shop!
They are about 6 miles from me. And he love trains!
I’m going to work with him on correct short wheel base Quincy & Torch Lake R.R car trucks.”

We kept hoping. I had kept my dealer status. Took a bunch of work, calls, e-mails to get new boards, parts and/or repairs.
And then they went dead quiet.

I have an issue with a diagram or two, simply needed an explanation.
Last week, called and left a message. E-mailed. I have Jim Calahan’s cell number. No answer or return calls.

This morning, I called, in sequence, both numbers at Phoenix:

734-662-6405

Out of service

Toll Free: +1 (800) 651-2444

out of service

My guess, based upon all data available, is they have given up. I know a big problem was chips. Some went obsolete. Some PRC just wasn’t shipping. That was my last discussion with them.

Oh, well. I suppose you could call either of the numbers at Thingsmith or Ann Arbor 3D Printed Models.

We can hope this is temporary.
TOC

So for the heck of it, I too tried the numbers again. And yes says not in service. So then I tried the number for the 3D printing and Andrew answered. He said as far as he knows, pretty sure in business and took my info and said would pass it on. 5 minutes later I get a “Spam” call according to AT&T but it said Ann Arbor so I answered it. And it was Jim at Phoenix. According to him, phone and Internet down due to construction out front and he was calling from his cell phone. He said he is still in business but chip issues means only thing he has in stock are P8’s and he makes the uncouplers as orders come in but usually has a couple around. He did say the last order the chip people did not ship. So I asked where to buy from as all my usual places say they are out. He said direct from him and price is $199 or something. I mentioned my normal places are a little cheaper and he didn’t answer. So who knows. Probably trying to sell what he has/can get, direct to maximize revenue, and there is nothing wrong with that. Like many, I’m sure just trying to keep the business afloat, but that’s just my guess. Unfortunately, he called me back I was I was heading to airport so I couldn’t dive in any further. That’s from the horses mouth so take away what you will. In next week or so, I’ll count how many P8’s I’ll need vs what I have and decide whether or not I need to get a couple or not and call him back.

okay. I do have Jim’s personal cell, an he has not returned a call in about a week.
You wonder about construction…and phones…and the other businesses in the same place work.
Yeah.
I’ll try him again.

I had talked with Charles RO few weeks back ti see if they had any P8’s and was told that they had gotten a few several weeks ago but all sold. Today, I got a call saying they got some in and I ordered the extra I needed. So Phoenix is still around and shipping, just supply constrained.

Just an update, they are alive and well it appears:

http://www.phoenixsound.com/index.html

1 Like

I’m guessing they are finally out of business as all their phone numbers say disconnected.

What would be an alternative to a Phoenix board for DC powered Connie.

Probably Mylocosound. Good price, decent sound.

That sucks. I liked their sound systems, and they had a good selection of sounds to choose from.

Talked with Charlie Ro Jr at the NELSTS - Phoenix is still in business and they will be sending out the new PB22 shortly - He talks to them (or they talk to him) because they make sound systems for his engines.

Scott

1 Like

Phoenix does have a recent message about availability on their site dated May 2023 so I guess they are still around.