Large Scale Central

How Much Run Time Are You Actually Getting On Your Li-ion Pack?

Rooster said:

Jon Radder said:

Michael Glavin said:

I’m surprised to not see more enthusiast reports on battery run times!

Extracting full rated capacity out of Li-Ion batteries is not recommended by their OEM’s! If you can realize 70% capacity at the discharge levels atypical of model trains while not dipping below 3.0V its all good.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Could be that a lot of us that run battery - R/C are operations based not roundy round? I charge my locos about once a month if they need it or not! My demand on the batteries is pretty light so I rarely need to charge a battery in the middle of a session.

Calling all Roundy Round runners to please report your battery usage !

Good point Jon …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

A Bachmann 3 truck shay and a Bachmann ‘Connie’ (both LiPo 14.8V) run on roundy-roundy intermittently over a 12 month period, batteries charged only once. That was last week because I had visitors who wanted to see the trains run so I did a “just in case” charge. The batteries had been stored for over 12 months at the storage charge level while I built the new layout.

NiMh (12V) locos run more frequently, charged every 4-5 weeks with 1 needing a charge after 3 trips around the layout (new batteries have been delivered and waiting to be fitted).

I talk to model aircraft people on a regular basis and there is no way I flog mt batteries any where near the way they do.

I tend not to over analyse my battery usage and just look to loco performance (usually the sound quality starts to diminish) to determine if a charge is needed.

I talk to model aircraft people on a regular basis and there is no way I flog mt batteries any where near the way they do.

Agreed! The trains are really nothing like the planes and drones. The 14.8 V 5.2 A LiPo I got is rated to deliver 50 times (260 amps!) the rated amperage for 1/50th of the period (72 seconds). I can’t see that EVER happening.

Even the 11.1 V 2.2 A LiPos for the motorized track cleaner are rated to deliver 8 times (17.6 amps) for a period of 7.5 minutes, and that’s way more amps than I would ever pull.

“1-Gauge, One Community”

Now that all is said and done just how much run time are you getting from your Li-ion pack, inquiring minds would like to know (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I have a 3600(?) pack in my C19 and Im getting at least 3-4 hours of switching time (usually when I run out of things to do)