Large Scale Central

Hey, Pete, just for Pirates

Wasn’t that Constantinople that paid a Buck an Ear to his soldiers?

Where are my Buccaneer’s? locked in the Fo’c’sle where they belong…

buc·ca·neer (b¾k”…-nîr“) n. 1. A pirate, especially one of the freebooters who preyed on Spanish shipping in the West Indies during the 17th century. 2. A ruthless speculator or adventurer. [French boucanier, from boucaner, to cure meat, from boucan, barbecue frame, possibly from Arawakan or Tupinamba (a Tupian language) bocan, rack.] --buc”ca·neer“ v.
————————————————————
WORD HISTORY: The Errol Flynn-like figure of the buccaneer pillaging the Spanish Main may seem less dashing if we realize that the term buccaneer corresponds to the word barbecuer. The first recorded use of the French word boucanier, which was borrowed into English, referred to a person on the islands of Hispaniola and Tortuga who hunted wild oxen and boars and smoked the meat in a barbecue frame known in French as a boucan. This French word came from an Arawakan or Tupinamba word meaning “a rack, sometimes used for roasting or for storing things, or a racklike platform supporting an Indian house.” The original barbecuers seem to have subsequently adapted a more remunerative way of life, piracy, which accounts for the new meaning given to the word. Buccaneer is recorded first in 1661 in its earlier sense in English; the sense we are familiar with is recorded in 1690.

Arrrrr Rrrrrrrrr Rrrrr Arrrrrr ARRGGgg!

Translation (Want BBQ sauce with your steak?)

Guess I can now honestly call myself a buccaneer when I’m manning the grill! :wink:

Can anyone join in this ? I mean , I am descended from Sir Henry Morgan (true!) and thus have a privelege claim to be a Buccaneer . The problem is , when he was governor of Jamaica , he did what all sailors do ashore , so our branch started out as "poxy upstarts ". And , just to show how anti social our branch is , I spent my service time hunting and trying to “kill” submarines . Ha har , lads , we were up to our necks in muck and bullets chasin’ the dreaded Viktor class , and yankee nukes . Frightened 'em all . Har . Flew our planes so low we got spray on the windscreens , har , spent time in the wc gettin’over it an’all .Did a nexchange in an O class sub , smelly lot , all diesel and puke . Couldn’t see much , but heard a lot of grunting from certain quarters , har , it weren’t my turn in the barrel though . Navy rum ? btdt.
Mike M

Mike M.
Not so sure about Hnery but a more recent type of Capn. Morgan will most times calm my nerves and soothes the aches that ail me!

Happy International TALK LIKE A PIRATE Day!

Ahoy! It’s the 19th here! Let the festivities begin!

Sooooo…

• What’s the Pirates’ favourite letter?
  • Pirates love the “C”!

Aargh!:pirate_flag:

An elderly pirate was applying for retirement. He had a wooden leg, a hook on the end of his right arm, and a patch over his left eye. The retirement enrollment pirate says, “Argh maty and how did you lose the leg?” The old pirate replies, “I was on watch in the crows nest, and a big wave hit the ship. I got tossed overboard and a killer whale got it!” The retirement pirate says, “And how did you lose the hand?” The old pirate replies, “I was helping furl the sails, a big wave hit the ship, and I was tossed overboard. A shark got it!” The retirement pirate says, “Argh, and how did you lose the eye?” The old pirate replies, " Seagull pooped in it!"" The retirement pirate says, " That’s not enough to take out an eye!" The old pirate barks, “Argh! I was still getting used to the HOOK!”

Ducking and weaving, David Meashey