Large Scale Central

Hand laying Dual guage

yes Bob that is exactly what I was thinking. Peter T did the same thing and posted on my other thread this picture

so really the only booger would be to get the 32mm through the wye

Stan’s is a 4 rail system and Peter’s a 3 rail system

Now that I look at it is Stans even really dual gauge or is that simply two tracks sharing the same bridge. because that could work also

Stan’s is just two separate lines sharing the same bridge. Only frogs, no points.

that could be very doable. I think Craig was hinting at this also with the 4 rail comment. I can see how I could do that both across the bridge and the diverging points at the end of the bridge and up on the left leg of the wye. None of those would need points.

The question then remains how would I take that through the wye?

I assume since mine is dual gauge that I would have the 32mm rail be fully within the 45mm rails?

Devon,

Why are you crossing the wye tracks at all? Why not run the 32mm track to the right of the 45mm in your drawing, then cross the 45mm after the bridge?

I will have to actually go and look at my layout. For some reason in my mind they have to be there. I am thinking that the wye is sitting to close to the edge of the bench and a big post on the left side of my drawing. I don’t think there would be enough room. But I would have to take an honest look to see if that is true or not. But I think it is. In fact I almost guarantee it is because the left side leg of the wye actually leaves my bench for a few inches (future home of a small bridge or culvert or something).

Fixed this for you…

damn near fell out of my chair. That was good. And I will say that very well could be what happens

Yes. I did most of my attic layout 20 years ago like that. (The problem is that it was before digital cameras, so I only have scans of the prints.) I added a third rail to my Llagas 1/24th ties using a Llagas tie plate. The trick was to pre-drill the tie through the tie plate using a very small drill in a cordless dremel. In this pic you can see the different plates on the middle rail.

I made several track gauges to hold the rail while I spiked it from yardsticks. You can see the gauges on the photo.

This lift bridge isn’t a gantlet - those are 3 separate gauges: gauge-3, gauge-1 and gauge-0.

atticbridge-cr

2 Likes

(Tom, I don’t know how you posted that but it came out as 2 long lines of text with a scroll bar!)

Yes, but not for years. There was a conversation online with a guy who wanted 10,000 so he was going to get them to do a special order. I’d be interested to hear what Llagas say. Here’s a segment with a tie plug on the wooden tie with a hole ready for the next plug. I made a brass jog for drilling ties - it’s in my previous post under the yardstick gauge.

1 Like

You’re way over thinking this Devon.

Any time a rail crosses another rail, you use a frog. The narrow gauge coming off the standard guage depends on which side you use as a common rail. To diverge from one rail to another you use a point.

Basically I see this plan as
2 3 track turnouts ( 45 mm and 32 mm)
1 32mm turnout.

That’s it.

Here’s a switch switch with an embedded 2’ (32mm) gauge only going one way, along the dual-gauge curved route. (The point blades weren’t attached when I took that pic.)

IMG_1998-escape1-flip

(I flipped it so it is aligned the same way as your drawing.) This is what it actually looked like after 3 years in the garden.

Devon, can you cut and glue some wood to fit inside the plastic ties , then you could nail the track in place, maybe every other tie could be nailed .

Craig i WAS over thinking it for sure. But now the only issue is the wye. Because the 32mm is really a point to point it needs zero turnouts at least ones that are selectable for one track or a other. Since they ONLY go one way they only need frogs and no points to cross the 45mm tracks. And since the 45 mm stuff is the tail of a wye it only needs one turn out.

The complication is/was getting the 32mm through only one side of the wye. How to make the 45 mm selectable and the 32mm only and always one direction. But I think Peter solved that for me or at least can walk me through it.

Pete, before tried that I would just start over and hand lay this entire section from scratch. I am not at all opposed to that if I can understand the wye. Issue.

Peter T.

I think I understand that completely. I can see how that works. May have to pick your brain more when I actually attempt it, but conceptually that makes sense. I am a picture/visual learner and as soon I saw that picture it made sense

Micro Engineering tie plates code 250. Does Llagas Creek rail fit these?
[G Scale Micro Engineering Tie Plates 27-103 Code 250 100pcs for sale online | eBay]

Am I seeing this correctly, I will still need to make sure that the switch is thrown to select the right side even when using the 32mm track. Because they share that common rail, which is one of the point rails.

Guess its time to pick up some nickle silver code 250 rail, tie plates, and track spikes. I feel confident I can do this and all then that it would require is some slight modification to the existing bridge because I wold have to relay the track on it. It needs some minor repair anyways so this will be a good time to pull it and bring it inside and begin making all the pieces for it.

I am glad I am not hosting my normal June meeting but instead am hosting it in September. That should give me plenty of time to build the mine building complex and include this tram as part of that. I doubt I will get to the concentrator and have it built so the tram will likely go to nowhere but it would be a cool accomplishment to have that much of it done to show off to the club.

one last question that I am pretty sure I already know the answer to but want to make sure I order the right stuff to make the new wye. All #4 (0r #6) frogs are created equal right? Meaning they are not specific to right or left or wye. In other words I don’t need a frog specifically for a wye?

Never mind. I am not thinking clearly, I will just use the parts I have now to create the hand laid wye so won’t need to order any of the parts anyway. Just need to modify it for the 3rd rail and lay it on new ties.