Large Scale Central

Ham Radio / Short Wave Listening / Signals Intercept

KX4XXX Just cleared the FCC site earlier today!

Just sold the Shay, so off to find an HF rig (as I study for my General)

I also enjoy SW with my DX-392

A query for all you radio guys out there. I’m looking for a couple of headsets, with either of these style plugs on it. Aviation plug:

(http://www.trackpedia.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/3/36/IMSA.jpg/100px-IMSA.jpg)

Motorola plug:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bob_mccown/_forumfiles/motplug.jpg)

Anyone have/know where I could get a pair of them at a reasonable price?

Hi Troops,
I’m WA1ZSW and have been since 1976, upgraded to general three years ago. I’ve got two HF rigs and two 2 meter hand held rigs, but nothing on the air yet, too busy with trains and other stuff!!! I’ve done commercial mowing and snow removal for years, but slowing down from this due to trains!!! HaHa!!! Getting older too!!!
I’m a member of the Central CT G Gaugers Modular Group and VP of the Mohegan Pequot Model RR Club, Inc.
The Central CT Group will not be displaying at the spring ECLSTS as we cannot muster enough man power. We have displayed at all ECLSTS spring shows since the beginning, but not this spring unfortunately, but some of us may get to York for one of the show days, maybe!!!
Bob MacGregor in CT

N0HTC here!! After my divorce a few years ago, had to get rid of my trusty old Yaesu FT-101E, that was a good old rig. Recently another hamster gave me an FT-101Z, and I strung up some wire, but she still needs a little more work. Replaced the finals, but need to locate a driver tube, then get the whole thing lined up and I think I’ll be able to get back on the air! My work bench has, from left to right, a small TV, the Yaesu, my work area, and a computer. When I go into the ‘man cave’ I have plenty to keep me occupied!!

73’s de Bill

I’ve got an FT-101E in the basement. The finals have been cold for 5 years or so. It lives under my indoor division…

73 de W1KBW

And you’ve got the auxiliary tuner there, too!! Had one of those too, always wanted to work one of those MARS events where you listen on the military freqs and then xmit on the ham bands. I had a lot of fun with my radios, still have 2 meters in the car and truck. Used to have that Realistic 10 meter rig, and it was great until it died. The ex hated the radio (didn’t like the static and couldn’t understand how I could talk to someone I didn’t know!) so one time on the long drive from Denver to Nebraska, I put on the headphones and just for the heck of it dialed around the CW band. Well, here was this guy up in the New England area sending the prettiest code, and since I’d just tuned the antenna, I had a straight key hooked up, so I put it on the seat and enjoyed a great conversation! My one and only mobile CW contact!

I almost did the license bit…started…did long range DX…had all the cards…including Radio Prague when I had a Top Secret/Lim/Dis in the Navy.
Still have my old tube Halicrafters, may have my National NC-57 in the attic. Old (hard type) headsets…used to do all sorts of slope tuning. My buddy in high school had a Gonset he kept on 24/7 to keep it fully stable.

This sunspot cycle has been less than spectacular. I was seriously considering going for General early this winter; but listening on the weekends just didn’t get me excited. Until yesterday!

10 Meters was hotter than I’ve heard it since the 80’s. DX from all over Europe; West Coast US, Japan and Australia all at the same time and all 10-20 Over 9!!!

I was afraid to warm up the finals since my rig hasn’t transmitted in years and I don’t know the condition inside the radio or of my antenna cables. But it sure was exciting to tune around and hear big pileups in the Novice portion of 10.

2 weeks ago I took the 11m rig outta the truck and installed a 10m mobile…what a BLAST I had while running to and fro last sat afternoon during the Worldwide DX contest…c’om Jon, your Upgrade is calling :slight_smile:

(http://www.w9dup.org/images/img7.jpg)

http://www.w9dup.org/amateur_band_plan_1.htm

I’m a Tech (what they used to call Tech +) with some HF privileges. I can work phone on 10 and above (6m-23cm). I need to spend some time this summer inspecting antennas and cables. Biggest problem is that when I built the indoor table top on 4x10 plywood I left the antenna switch hanging on the wall beyond reach so I’m stuck with whatever it is set to.

It seems that I missed a great 10m lift Jon.

But the weather has been like early summer here - at long last - and I just could not pass up running trains, maintaining the ROW and general railroad maintenance.

I did go on my usual 40m Sunday afternoon net (14.00 UTC) for just over half an hour, but it was soon back outdoors again.

Well I have my station up and running. I’ve worked a few contest already this year. The first one I worked about 8 hours total and had a great score, until I looked at the winning scores for the previous year. My 27k paled to the 1.7million points in my class. Scheesch!?

It was still fun. I can see where I will need a hands free microphone if I want to keep contesting. Tuning, keying logs on my computer and keying the mic means I need three hands otherwise.

The really neat discovery was that I can use my Bluetooth enabled hearing aids to pump the receive right into my ear canals, in hi-fi instead of wearing my bulky headsets. :slight_smile:

Jon Radder said:

I’m a Tech (what they used to call Tech +) with some HF privileges. I can work phone on 10 and above (6m-23cm). I need to spend some time this summer inspecting antennas and cables. Biggest problem is that when I built the indoor table top on 4x10 plywood I left the antenna switch hanging on the wall beyond reach so I’m stuck with whatever it is set to.

I just upgraded Tech+ to General. I studied for the test for about 2 weeks and nearly aced it. I am not an EE or anything, and I breezed through it. So go for Old Man.

(http://www.fotolode.com/images/SCWolverine/shack/bench4.jpg)

Nice! Looky there at the corner-mount Kenwood TS :slight_smile:

re-buidling my shack

Nice Station David.
I just need to get motivated. I guess the best way other than listening would be to find out where and when the next test is.

I ran into one of my old local ham buddies at the D&B. He is still going strong - a big contest guy: W1QK. His brother is building a RR and he is thinking about one. I used to have great fun with him when he was working 2M SSB contests from a mountaintop about 1/4 mile from me. I’d wait until about 2AM when it was really quiet. He’d be calling CQ Contest with his phones up full blast and I’d rotate my 20 element beam in his direction and throw out my call. Just about fried his eardrums!

Another close friend has built a super station which I need to get over and work with him; K1LTJ.

Very nice. I have a Kenwood 2000x. Need to get it hooked up. Of course
to really use it need to get licensed. End of the month going to sit for Tech and General
Lorna

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Cale Nelson said:

Nice! Looky there at the corner-mount Kenwood TS :slight_smile:

re-buidling my shack

Looks good Cale. What is that an HF, VHF/UHF & 11 Meter rigs?

I want to find a serious contester locally to sit in with to learn some of the ropes. I also want to find out if I am turning the right knobs and pushing the best buttons for TX & RX.

I have too many expensive hobbies.

David, see if your nearest Ham radio club can be of help. Th name should be in the ARRL web site that Cale posted.

It is worth mentioning that not all countries have all the availability of bands that the USA has. For instance the 80m and 40m, bands are not as large. I am sure the ARRL web site would mention this. So to hear Europe look around

You asked Cale questions: I will let him answer them.

Yep

HF = Kenwood TS-850

VHF = Kenwood TM-281

11m = Galaxy 959

UHF = well those are old FD VHF rigs holding spots for 440 and 220 rigs

That was a early shot for placement ideas. Still hobbling together along with a Part15 AM/FM Broadcast station in the opposing corner. I very rarely get a chance to operate, but it’s there when I do. I am working on an antenna patch panel to bring the cables in through the wall.