Large Scale Central

Getting the RR Ready for Running - Post Ur Pix

I’m busy with some locomotive projects, Ive got to post some photos etc on those. The track is OK shape and will get som maintenance in a bit. Needs linging and leveling as well as some ballast if i can come up with some. One are may get some work with good draining fill under the road bed to prevent frost heaves which can be a problem by tilting the track in the winter. I’ll try to get some photos when i get going outside.

Like Sean says, some of us never stop. What’s WRONG with us? :wink: This is from this morning:

Cheers,

Matt

Awesome picture Matt!!

The rain let up for a few hours yesterday afternoon allowing me to get all three #6 switches back in-place at Indian Hill Junction. This overhead view gives a good overview of the area…

At the top of the picture is Indian Hill Bridge, with my yellow laser alignment tool set up to try and keep this section straight. The first switch after the bridge is the Beta-1 Spring Switch for the West, or return leg, of my outdoor wye. The next switch closest to the camera is an industrial spur, presently serving the Walk Crossing Trans-Load facility. The switch closest to the camera is the Engine House lead which serves a presently un-named and undefined industry with numerous car spots. The straight track is the main leading to Pine Summit and Deep Cut.

The next view was taken from near track level on Indian Hill Bridge looking through the junction toward Deep Cut. This picture was taken before I worked on alignment and the camera exaggerates the mis-alignment of the second switch…

And finally, another overhead view looking back the other way. Here the alignment has been adjusted some, that white PVC on the track is a target for the laser…

It still needs some tweaking and the weather looks like it will cooperate for the weekend. I’d like to get this operational in time for Monday’s predicted snow. Since it appears that I am now out of work until this mess blows over (signs aren’t essential; who knew?) I might get a chance to run my live steam in the snow again :slightly_smiling_face:

Looking forward to some shelter-at-home pics! Maybe even a video?

A video of my annual tunnel inspection (which has been deferred for 2 years) may be forthcoming. My old chiepie video camera battery crapped out and I haven’t bothered to replace it. This means I may need to modify my camera car (with lights for the tunnel inspection) to support my point-n-shoot or my cell phone.

Today I managed to get the switches and all connected track leveled enough to run a train around the wye. Deep Cut Tunnel track inside the Engine House are still out of service; but this is a big step. Trains have not traversed the wye since late fall 2018.

Jon Radder said:

A video of my annual tunnel inspection (which has been deferred for 2 years) may be forthcoming.

Rooster: reported this post to the moderator

OK Roo - You can rescind your report. I am in compliance.

C.V.S.Ry. Deep Cut Tunnel Inspection - Spring 2020 from Jon Radder on Vimeo.

No chance of running off the end of that track, eh Jon?..(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Like that tree root

Ken Brunt said:

No chance of running off the end of that track, eh Jon?..(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Wow…run off the track ONE TIME and you’re branded forever!!! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)(Especially when there’s pictures documenting it!)

Jon Radder said:

OK Roo - You can rescind your report. I am in compliance.

No you are not! That video just proves Fred’s sarcophagus does not exist and thinking it was probably looted then stolen even though he ain’t (isn’t,is not) dead yet !

He did state at one point in time that was where he would like his vault to be did he not?

Rooster ’ said:

He did state at one point in time that was where he would like his vault to be did he not?

Yes , he did. The concrete portion was officially named “Fred’s Vault”. Fred, correct me if I am wrong, but the plan was to have Fred’s ashes encased in a solid brass tank car (we can’t afford gold as we are a starving narrow gauge) to be parked to the left of the mainline track inside the vault. It would be brought out every summer on the anniversary of the American Invasion of Friends and tour the Candlewood Valley Scenic, and quite possibly tour the country visiting as many operating railroads as possible (even in death Fred said he DOES NOT want to go around in circles :open_mouth:

The flaw in this plan is that Fred will probably out live me !

BTW… I love this pic … I hate switches even though I have not had enough of them in my life or RR so far.

Jon Radder said:

The flaw in this plan is that Fred will probably out live me !

Might outlive me as well but that leaves (leafs) him with nothing but noise from Ozzy and Keith Richards ?

I do very much appreciate young Jon honouring my “Last Wishes”, although I don’t remember expecting a “Brass” tank car. I think that in my condition, (Ashes) at the time of my passing, any old tank car would suffice. I guess I might prefer that the tank car be one that might last a few years, after my passing, just in case some friend continues to live on, and pass on some sort of memory of me, and all the friendly things I probably will not get around to doing, for all who I really care about in this wonderful hobby.

Probably a Bachmann Big Hauler type tank car would do, or possibly one of the LGB ones. If it has to be Standard Gauge style, then a simple Charles Ro (UsTrains) one, or an Aristo single dome could provide sanctity for my ashes.

No-one needs to spend great amounts of time on it. Just letter it with the words " Here is contained the remains of someone who cared"

… followed by the date and the reporting marks; IPP&W, and the date of my passing as the car number.

Please make bloody sure that it is equipped with BODY mounted KADEE couplers, at the correct height !!!

Thank you again for asking.

Fred Mills

In the meantime, as of Monday, March 23rd, 2020; I seem to be in good shape, good health, and raring to start the 2020 OVGRS/IPP&W operating season, along with the whole OTTAWA crew.

I hope everyone else is too…

Fred Mills

BTW…nice work, Jon…

If by some chance you do get a chance to put my ashes in a tank car; be sure to include some sort of air cleaner to suppress my nasty Farting problem…the methane just might decay the plastic tank car…!!!

Fred Mills. said:

I do very much appreciate young Jon honouring my “Last Wishes”, although I don’t remember expecting a “Brass” tank car. I think that in my condition, (Ashes) at the time of my passing, any old tank car would suffice. I guess I might prefer that the tank car be one that might last a few years, after my passing, just in case some friend continues to live on, and pass on some sort of memory of me, and all the friendly things I probably will not get around to doing, for all who I really care about in this wonderful hobby.

Probably a Bachmann Big Hauler type tank car would do, or possibly one of the LGB ones. If it has to be Standard Gauge style, then a simple Charles Ro (UsTrains) one, or an Aristo single dome could provide sanctity for my ashes.

No-one needs to spend great amounts of time on it. Just letter it with the words " Here is contained the remains of someone who cared"

… followed by the date and the reporting marks; IPP&W, and the date of my passing as the car number.

Please make bloody sure that it is equipped with BODY mounted KADEE couplers, at the correct height !!!

Thank you again for asking.

Fred Mills

Maybe one could also find a pecking Rooster (spring activated) to blow in the wind on the deck of said car.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Fred Mills. said:

In the meantime, as of Monday, March 23rd, 2020; I seem to be in good shape, good health, and raring to start the 2020 OVGRS/IPP&W operating season, along with the whole OTTAWA crew.

I hope everyone else is too…

Fred Mills

BTW…nice work, Jon…

If by some chance you do get a chance to put my ashes in a tank car; be sure to include some sort of air cleaner to suppress my nasty Farting problem…the methane just might decay the plastic tank car…!!!

I believe I made the tanker necessary, it has a steam water pump to put out: volatile methane Fred fires!

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/john_caughey/bash4.jpg)

Whew what’s that smell?

Bill Barnwell said:

Like that tree root

I think he refers to that as Natural Bridge still. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Bill Barnwell said:

Like that tree root

I think he refers to that as Natural Bridge still. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I do, and if I remember, you tagged it with that name when the tunnel was being built.