Large Scale Central

Gearboxes

I need a drive for another critter project so I went looking around last night. Found these inexpensive gearbox drives.

Ordered a couple of them to see if they’re usable. Only issue I see is the motor is 3v so Ill have to build a simple control for them.

Bob, looked at the website, they have other motors and gearboxes,and other goodies as well, bookmarked.

Al P.

Yea, there’s a bunch of neat stuff there. Tamiya drives are pretty indestructible, I’ve had some on RC race cars years ago and never broke one. And people have been using them for robotics for years, too.

I also like that you can regear them fairly easily. Will let me fine tune speed.

I just ordered 35 of difference type of 3v, 6, & 12 motor/gears boxed from China at difference RPM’s and will regulate then with a wire wound pot. We are doing a clinic class on Animation for the SVGRS. here in Northern CA. group. We got tired of going to home swap meets looking any doll or toys that we can re use the motors. Join the club looking. Us Guy’s looking for a cheap way to animate our toys… lol. Love making our G-gage Eng. guy wave or people waving out of Pass. cars and etc. Cheap way to go with a batt. or etc. Noel

Bob,

For what it is worth, we had a near miss with a pair of TAMIYA 70103 in our first go at repowering a locomotive ( Challenge Accepted - Large Scale Fantasy Locomotive) a few years back. We did get the loco to lurch into action before we smoked the motors. Maybe if this has been for a critter and not a locomotive the endeavor would have been more successful!

Eric