Large Scale Central

Freight sheds

Now you got me in the dog house Cliff…like I said earlier this is all your fault!

Cliff Jennings said:

Why do I get the feeling that Todd’s using this as a repeated opportunity to make us drool over his 'Vette?

Gettin tired of mopping my keyboard Todd…

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I have no idea why it keeps “hiccuping.” Ain’t me doing it, at least intentionally.

Rooster said:

Is this the wrong time to ask for the pony I have always wanted ?

Bob’s really busy transitioning the website, but he asked me to send you this little fella, freight collect.

Todd Brody said:

Cliff Jennings said:

Why do I get the feeling that Todd’s using this as a repeated opportunity to make us drool over his 'Vette?

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I have no idea why it keeps “hiccuping.” Ain’t me doing it, at least intentionally.

Blame Cliff!

Cliff Jennings said:

Cliff, its a bowtie car, and bow ties are old hat and boring, now a nice Charger or Challenger would be worth drooling over LOL! nice vette Todd! 427? 4Speed?

What about the Album function?, that is where my pics for posts here are currently stored and all my pics in various threads are linked to, will that go away as well?

While I have my own pics stored on thumbdrive archives but my posts are linked to the Album, because thats how the forum itself is set but to easiest add pics to threads. I’ll be honest, if I lose my pic storage ala MLS yet again I think I am done, I don’t think I am not going to bother to repost dozens of pics over dozens of threads over three site, again, as GR and GSC are also linked to here.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

Vic, in a million years I wouldn’t presume to suggest what you should do, but I believe Bob McCown himself uses Imgur to host his pictures. It might be a possiblity, I don’t know.

John Passaro said:

Vic, in a million years I wouldn’t presume to suggest what you should do, but I believe Bob McCown himself uses Imgur to host his pictures. It might be a possiblity, I don’t know.

It’s not the hosting issue, its having to reload all the pics, sift thru dozens of threads, and replacing dozens and dozens of photo links on three different forums. That is what I don’t want to do again.

I am getting tired of all the whining about photos. Bob provides us a forum that allows all of us to communicate with like minded people from many countries and multiple walks of life. No one is charged to enjoy the many benefits of this site. There are those who choose to make contributions to Bob to help defray the costs, but it is not mandatory. I host several web sites (far less complicated than LSC), but judging by my costs for services I have no doubt that Bob’s yearly cost just to keep the lights on here is something not far south of mid four digits. Bob has likely reached the tipping point where the cost to host thousands of pictures in Freight Sheds has exceeded his ability to absorb the cost. In fact he has said so.

I would have thought that when PhotoBucket went to a ‘Pay to Play’ site folks would have learned that free ain’t free. The PhotoBucket platform was basically a click advertising system. More clicks, the more they made. Even that platform runs out of money after a time, regardless of how well the clicks pay. Hence, RansomBucket. Imgur, and others like it will eventually go the same way, regardless of the wishes of others. It’s all about the money, no business (so far Bob is still a hobby) is in it to give services away. Every free service I have read the EULA, you forfeit your control of your photos when you agree to the EULA.

I have advocated for many years PAYING for a hosting service. When you pay for the service, you control your pictures. The only way m pictures will go away is if I stop paying for the service. Those who will need to redirect the photo locations will have a bit of work to do, but if you own your storage space (said pay for it) you will only need do it once. If I factor out the other portions of the services I pay for, it costs me about 15 or so dollars per month to store my photos on my web space. I would go deaf if I were to suggest that Bob go Pay to Play for hosting photos with the screaming at the injustice of it all. And by the way, if you can’t afford a minimal fee to host pictures, you are in the wrong hobby, large scale ain’t cheap!

Scroll all the empty threads that RansomBucket has made useless because the thread owners felt it wasn’t worth the effort to relocate and re-link the photos. Some of the free sites allow you to store photos, but not link them. Or you can link them but will not allow folks to down load the pictures. That is not free to me. IMHO that is a fast way to destroy a site like this.

**Bob Cope said:**And by the way, if you can’t afford a minimal fee to host pictures, you are in the wrong hobby, large scale ain’t cheap!

So, you would have kicked me out of the hobby when I had to go on Social Security Disability at a rate of 17 dollars a month below the poverty level of a household for 1 as set by Department of Health and Human Services?

(as it happens I am quite aware that internet bandwidth costs someone somewhere something and needs to be paid, that point isn’t being contested)

I for years have used pinterest to store my pictures and it has worked great but I get a lot of complaints when referring people to their site in that then get bombarded with adds, but as a user I don’t see this problem, I recently started storning in my album section of facebook and both pinterest and face book afford me the ability to capture and use a URL to down load pictures to forums and all for free, just a thought

Forrest Scott Wood said:

**Bob Cope said:**And by the way, if you can’t afford a minimal fee to host pictures, you are in the wrong hobby, large scale ain’t cheap!

So, you would have kicked me out of the hobby when I had to go on Social Security Disability at a rate of 17 dollars a month below the poverty level of a household for 1 as set by Department of Health and Human Services?

(as it happens I am quite aware that internet bandwidth costs someone somewhere something and needs to be paid, that point isn’t being contested)

Maybe we are on the wrong hobby here as Bob Cope said, If frt. shed goes, we won’t be able to post any photos, not unless able to upload straight off of our hard dr.n to post. This is why we pay as a member to be able to use frt.shed to post photos even if it is a small space to use them.

Vic Smith said:

John Passaro said:

It’s not the hosting issue, its having to reload all the pics, sift thru dozens of threads, and replacing dozens and dozens of photo links on three different forums. That is what I don’t want to do again.

Ah ha…I get what you’re saying now.

Just an FYI, though MLS has had major upgrades recently, when its creator sold it a few years back things became unstable. In one bad episode, about half the MLS members got their photos wiped without any explanation or recourse.

Vic was a big contributor their, and all his amazing build threads (and there were many) got blanked of their photos.

I’m a big fan of Vic’s work, saw what he went through back then, and have a jist of the effort he put into rebuilding his thread-articles. So I can understand his concerns, and I hope the emerging situation doesn’t require that.

On the bright side, I’m hoping that Bob will find a way to port all the pics over to the new server, and be able to run a script to update the link url’s. Perhaps Jim’s talents can be brought to bear. on this effort. Either way, Bob has to do what he has to do; and he’s doing all this as his hobby, not as a business. So supporting Bob in whatever he asks in all this is a good idea.

If that works, our current threads / image links would be preserved. Whether or not the ongoing conditions require us all to go over to Imgur / etc. for future threads seems to me a separate topic. Maybe the current FS’s will be preserved / frozen, but we’ll need to switch elsewhere for future stuff, who knows.

In the meantime, I’ve printed all my threads to pdf. Using Jim’s amazing tool, I intend to do the same thing again (sheesh, I just remembered I haven’t done it yet!!) – but now in the far superior format his tool provides.

OK, 'nuff opining…

Heck I don’t even know how to find my posts with pictures to even attempt anything if and when the pictures disappear. What I am kind of concerned with is old posts from people like Mik, Chuck Inslow, and John Caughey who are not here anymore and all their builds and pictures will be gone with no way to recover them. it would be nice if those could be archived or ported or saved.

Cliff Jennings said:

Just an FYI, though MLS has had major upgrades recently, when its creator sold it a few years back things became unstable. In one bad episode, about half the MLS members got their photos wiped without any explanation or recourse.

Vic was a big contributor their, and all his amazing build threads (and there were many) got blanked of their photos.

I’m a big fan of Vic’s work, saw what he went through back then, and have a jist of the effort he put into rebuilding his thread-articles. So I can understand his concerns, and I hope the emerging situation doesn’t require that.

On the bright side, I’m hoping that Bob will find a way to port all the pics over to the new server, and be able to run a script to update the link url’s. Perhaps Jim’s talents can be brought to bear. on this effort. Either way, Bob has to do what he has to do; and he’s doing all this as his hobby, not as a business. So supporting Bob in whatever he asks in all this is a good idea.

If that works, our current threads / image links would be preserved. Whether or not the ongoing conditions require us all to go over to Imgur / etc. for future threads seems to me a separate topic. Maybe the current FS’s will be preserved / frozen, but we’ll need to switch elsewhere for future stuff, who knows.

In the meantime, I’ve printed all my threads to pdf. Using Jim’s amazing tool, I intend to do the same thing again (sheesh, I just remembered I haven’t done it yet!!) – but now in the far superior format his tool provides.

OK, 'nuff opining…

I went through 2 purges before the Vertical Scope debacle. Once when early on at MLS Shad had a major SNAFU upgrading the site previously and when GScaleMad upgraded and both sites lost every post. Those weren’t so bad as at the time on MLS I didnt have alot of pics stored yet, and GSM involved copy/pasting threads from MLS/LSC back over to GSM. But the Vertical Scope screw up was disastrous as it erased over 15 years of photo archive. I was able to recover some pics, and partially reconstruct some of my older threads here and at GSC and GR. But honestly if I lose it again, I will probably just let the old posts RIP and only post new material on out as I learned after the VS event, the labor required to reconstruct those old posts, even with a reload onto a new site like Tumbler or Imger, is too much for my actual computer access time to dig through, find the corresponding pics, upload, then search thru the sites, then edit the link in dozens of posts. This is literally across several dozen old threads when added up. One of the drawbacks being online for so long I suppose.

John Passaro said:

I’d like to offer my 2 cents, as I just loaded a bunch of pics to the Freightsheds and got a big notice saying “BEWARE” or similar. I am not concerned about losing my FS space - I have backups of my files going back to 2005. The threads may be useless, but Jim gave us a PDF solution for any threads we may think could be useful.

Firstly, while I am sure Imgur works for some people, and may be the best option around, it isn’t any less work that the FS. You still have to upload the photo (and drag-and-drop doesn’t save any time if you have to go find the photo in the first place.) Then you have to paste the URL in the LSC Image box. Doesn’t seem to make much difference. Maybe the thing I am missing (being an old-school laptop guy,) is that you can upload photos to Imgur directly on your phone? So you always upload a max-size photo, even if you are only going to post it on a webpage? I try to avoid wasting that much space.

In 10+ years of posting on various forums, I can assure you that Imgur will go away sometime, and those threads will go blank. It’s the way of the world.

The new MLS forum software, and Gscalecentral.net (seem to be the same forum software,) have the neat drag-and-drop directly in to a thread, which we can’t do on LSC yet. That’s a nice feature, and the forum software then stores the pic for you - no messing about with uploads and URLs.

I tried using Imgur yesterday and I must confess I am totally lost.

For a start, it seems to be a community hub designed for posting stupid cat videos. I did manage to ‘create a post’ and uploaded a bunch of photos, but coming back this morning I had to click my user icon to get a menu, and then I did not see any way to get a link for different sized photos, as Bob mentioned above. If I copy the link it doesn’t display on another website, and if I click the image and then ‘copy image location’ I get to post the original photo full size. I attached a screen shot - am I even at the right website?

Here’s the "image link’

(https://imgur.com/qFH7NhD)

Here’s the ‘direct link’

Any tutorials on how to use it as a photo storage site?

You upload photos using the menu in the upper right. Click on the “Images” link. That will bring you to your images library. You can drag into this window off of your desktop and it will add to your library.

When you want to get the URL of an image to share, click on the image. It brings up a box with the image, and a bunch of options on the right. At the bottom, select “large thumbnail”. Then click on the Copy button next to “Direct Link”

Your clipboard now contains the url for the image. Paste that into a thread using the Insert/Edit Image button on LSC.