Large Scale Central

Freight sheds

Ok really dumb questions here.
1 if I just copy pictures off my computer to The Freight Shed, am I going to lose all pictures on my posts?

i Have others but will depend on answer here. Help me Obie Wan, I am hopeless

Pete, the answer is ‘Don’t Know for Sure’. BD has stated several times that the Freight Shed software is separate from the Forum software and therefore is not a guarantee of it working with the new Forum Software when it is brought online. Bob has stated that he will do his best to integrate the Freight Shed into the new software.

I also believe BD stated that he would be maintaining the existing Freight Shed, but there would be no back up service and I think once the new software comes online you will not be able to upload to the Freight Shed.

Personally I only use the Freight Shed for chat or communication I don’t worry about longevity. Long term storage is on my personal host site where I control my pics (provided I pay the bill each year). Cheap in my opinion considering the impact Ransom Bucket had on the forums of all natures.

BD, correct me if I am off track (pun intended).

That is correct. For those that maybe didnt see the thread about changing the forum software:

The company that owns the software that I use to run LSC, has gone to the business model of a “rent the code and servers from me” like a lot of companies have gone to. Not a big deal in and of itself, but they are also not upgrading the branch of the code that I use, will not be providing support or bug fixes for it. Basically it will not keep pace with modern browsers, the errors that already occur will not get fixed, and any new ones that crop up due to browser inconsistencies (HTTPS anyone?) will not get resolved. So about a year ago I started shopping around for a different package, evaluating different ones, and finally settled on one.

The downside of moving to a new platform is multifold, the least being that the people right now that arent paying attention about the change it, will bitch the loudest. The second is that the way they handle images is always different.

Right now I’m writing the importers to move all users/levels/forums/whatever-I-can over to the new system. Its fairly straight forward, just takes time. After that is ready, I’ll see about making the existing freight shed files accessible using the same pathing that they use now. That’s the part I cannot guarantee will be able to be done.

I guess that’s a long way of saying “I’d rather not you add to the problem of having dead images if I cant do that”

Bob,

I signed up with Imgur. Now, is there a way I can download more than 1 image at a time from my Freight Shed folders so I can upload them to Imgur?

Bob McCown said:

That is correct. For those that maybe didnt see the thread about changing the forum software:

The company that owns the software that I use to run LSC, has gone to the business model of a “rent the code and servers from me” like a lot of companies have gone to. Not a big deal in and of itself, but they are also not upgrading the branch of the code that I use, will not be providing support or bug fixes for it. Basically it will not keep pace with modern browsers, the errors that already occur will not get fixed, and any new ones that crop up due to browser inconsistencies (HTTPS anyone?) will not get resolved. So about a year ago I started shopping around for a different package, evaluating different ones, and finally settled on one.

The downside of moving to a new platform is multifold, the least being that the people right now that aren,t paying attention about the change it, will bitch the loudest. The second is that the way they handle images is always different.

Right now I’m writing the importers to move all users/levels/forums/whatever-I-can over to the new system. Its fairly straight forward, just takes time. After that is ready, I’ll see about making the existing freight shed files accessible using the same pathing that they use now. That’s the part I cannot guarantee will be able to be done.

I guess that’s a long way of saying “I’d rather not you add to the problem of having dead images if I cant do that”

Thanks BD, I know you are looking out for us, best you can without spending all your retirement, and hope things can be made better again. If I have to redo all my threads to re-add the pictures Its a small deal compared to what you have to deal with. I appreciate all you are doing.

I’ve been messing around with Google pics. (Another free hosting site). I’ve put pics on it in both .jpg and .jepg formats

and both loaded to the forums without a problem. It is the easiest picture hosting site I’ve ever used.

You guys might want to test it out.

Joe Zullo said:

Bob,

I signed up with Imgur. Now, is there a way I can download more than 1 image at a time from my Freight Shed folders so I can upload them to Imgur?

Joe, I think the answer is no there isn’t any way to download multiple images. However - why do you want to? If the freight sheds stays as-is, the threads will be fine. And you already have a backup copy anyway, don’t you?

Bob McCown said:
snip

Pete, you obviously didn’t read Bob’s post correctly. He clearly stated he is not sure the transition will keep the path structure to keep the threads displaying photos, even in the existing Freight Shed, correctly. I think what Joe is looking to do is salvage his photos before the transition so he is sure he has them.Better safe than sorry.

I need to go back and check a couple of my threads as CYA.

About saving old build threads, I’d like to grab the whole thread and print to PDF. This would be for my own hobby reference, and also to help be remember what photo went where if I had to put them all back in from another source.

I have PDF editing software (PDF Element), and can print one page full at a time, then combine. But it would sure be nice to have the whole thread visible, and printable, in one go.

Question: is there a way to view (and print) all thread posts from a single “page,” that is, without needing to click to successive pages? I thought I’d seen an option for how many posts to view at once, but maybe that was just in the chat room…

Cliff

Cliff:

There is an option, at least in Chrome, to right-click and select Print from the menu or Ctrl+P on any reply in the thread. It will then open the Print dialog and you can select a Destination of “Save as PDF”.

The downside is that you get everything on the pages such as people’s avatars, statistics, ads, etc.

Mark, yep, that’s what I plan to do; but to avoid printing each page and combining them afterward, I was hoping there was an option I’d overlooked to display the entire thread in one page. Guess not though.

He clearly stated he is not sure the transition will keep the path

I’m an optimist. And I have multiple backups of all my files and photos.

I notice that all the photos from the “old freight shed” are gone from my threads already, they are still in the old freight shed but not in any of the threads where they were posted. Is this part of the change over or something different?

Rick Marty said:

I notice that all the photos from the “old freight shed” are gone from my threads already, they are still in the old freight shed but not in any of the threads where they were posted. Is this part of the change over or something different?

I noticed this too, Rick.

Nothing I’ve done, can you give me an example page?

Hi Bob,

Here is one page of several

https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/14556/the-monarch-35?page=1

The pictures are in the old FS but tey don’t pop up when you roll over them like they use to you just get that little icon like in the thred, but they open up if you click them to a new window.

Huh. Seems to be related to http/https.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/14556/the-monarch-35?page=1

That shows the images for me.

Bob, I think it may have to do with the browser. Now that I’ve actually looked at the browser as a possibility, I can see all the photos regardless of http/https with Firefox, Edge and Safari, but not Chrome. Chrome only shows the pictures using http://.

Interesting. I just checked 3 or 4 of my threads which have photos, and they’re still viewing normally. I’m on Chrome, and the address bar is showing the https.