Large Scale Central

For those that have carved Sintra

A fine argument for just buying the sheets of brick… :innocent:

[quote=“Cliff_Jennings, post:59, topic:82740, full:true”]
Interesting idea Dan, nice and self-indexing. Were you thinking soldered brass?

I was just thinking of a guide so something light. Maybe 3d print? Another for end bricks.

I wonder if several bricks worth of ridges could be 3d printed on a block, and then tapped or pressed down into the sintra?

Not sure if the material (PLA I’d expect) would hold up, but if it did one could make several embosser-blocks, each having slightly different irregularities.

Could 3d print in stainless at shapeways, which would hold up to hammering / pressing, but pretty expensive.

Probably. Craig has posted this on FB as well and I suggested a A 3d printed stamp and an embossing machine. It doesn’t take much to dent the Sintra so 3d printed in any material should work. Would be pennies to make them.

Or… a brass plate, small and thick enough to hammer on. Solder on round or square rod in brickish patterns, and bang your way across the panel.

Sizzix embossing machine. They are cheap and I think would give a more consistent depth. Downside is the largest one is 9" so the building would need to be cut down to stories.

Bruce,
I don’t believe there are any available in 1/29 scale. Also, if you look at the walls Craig is trying to duplicate you will see there are some rows of bricks set with exposed ends.

Man, I sleep in for once and this thread has numerous responses. I’ve been thinking about a 3d stamp to see how that works.

More experiments needed. Thanks again Cliff for these scraps of PVC that you sent me last winter for the MIK build. I can totally see carving/embossing something small like a chimney

I’d also like to point out the size difference of our wonderful scales. I can see why making this in 1:20.3 is much easier. The dimensions are a lot bigger.

Too true. 1/24 is probably about the only scale readily available.
But, it works OK for 1:20.3…it’s about 85% too small, but hard to tell when looking at it.

For 1/29, the brick is about 21% too big. Noticeable if you have a micrometer, but most folks refuse to carry them around… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

They might not carry a micrometer but the “eyecrometer” is the final test…

Don’t worry in an hour or so I’ll have a test print of a wall done and a test print of a wall stamping.

So the test print turned out but it didn’t meet the eye test. I “know” that some things don’t scale down and still look right to the eye but my stubbornness prevents me from accepting that until I see it with my own eyes.

I showed the wife a test section of the wall and she gave me a honest review. Said it didn’t look like a brick wall. Too small.

I know this from smaller scales that sometimes “scale” things don’t look right to the eye. So instead we substitute a bigger item to trick the eye into thinking it’s what it is.

If I don’t get distracted with other prints and run out of resin, I’ll try a more “open” mortar section and see how it looks. Good thing I’m not in a hurry! :roll_eyes: