Large Scale Central

Drip Irrigation

Great thread!

FWIW, here’s what I use.

• Mr Mister lines & sprinklers like Ken mentioned, very fun and easy to install, adjust and make changes / additions to.
  • Two Rainbird anti-everything zone valves, which worked perfectly for a whole year.
  • My controller is an Orbit “4-Station Indoor/Outdoor Swing Door Timer.” This thing is highly programmable, allows 2 programs per day, time settings for up to 4 zones per program, accepts rain sensor input for user-selectable rain delays, etc. Runs off 120vac input, which you have to supply from a GFCI; but has an internal battery to keep its clock & programs going when power goes out (which we experience a lot of). A lot of functionality foe only $35 from Lowes (when I got it about 4 years back).
  • I run the system from a tee and check valve from my main house water line.

Here’s the "control panel, with (from the right) shut off, filter, valve manifold and drain-vent cock.

I’d like to replace my control valves and put something simpler in – like basic solenoid valves, without any diaphragms to stiffen or bust. But that would force me to a more robust BFP, and I haven’t seen cheap versions of those.

So like I said, great thread, thanks for starting it Devon, and I appreciate the knowledgeable responses.

Cliff

This just strikes me as one of those “drip” “drip” kind of threads…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Mr. Mister “Healing Waters”

Lame attempt Rooster!

This is how you do it:

Chris Kieffer said:

Lame attempt Rooster!

Not really Chris…Did you read the system that Cliff installed? I don’t see how CCR relates to Mr MISTER ??

See I like cliffs system. That looks like it the necessary level of over complication I require.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

If you need a more complex solution, just let me know:

Devon Sinsley said:

Hey all you gardeners.

All of this run off a single timer located in my yard cabinet which has power to it.

Does anyone see in inherent problems with this simple design. And suggestions/improvements I am not thinking of. I know little to nothing about drip systems. And when I say drip I am including the little sprayer nozzles possibly also. But mainly just the little soaker/drip type stuff.

Yes,

The first time it rains when your system is programmed to come on and you have to make your way through the rain to put the system in “rain delay” mode at the timer. We have an attached garage and our irrigation timer is located within right next to the house door.

Devon Sinsley said:

See I like cliffs system. That looks like it the necessary level of over complication I require.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Captain Overthink here, at your service! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

There are number of rain sensors available for irrigation systems that will automatically delay or skip a cycle.

Todd,

Hadn’t even crossed my mind about having it off in the rain and as a water guy it should have been top on my list. It’s one of my pet peeves when I drive around and see sprinklers on in the pouring rain and then have to listen to customers complain about overage charges on their bill.

One nice thing about many of the controllers they do allow for a rain gauge. There is no convenient place to put a controller in doors without drilling into my house. My garage is unattached and on the other side of my property.

This is something to consider. A rain gauge would be the best solution.

Something else to consider, though it may not be a problem for you.

My system has a transmitter that lets me control the stations remotely. This is nice when you work on the system (e.g., clean out dirt from a fitting) and you want to try it without continually running back and forth to the panel. They only have a certain range.

mine is controlled via my home network, available anywhere home or away, from computer, phone, tablet, helps debugging, adjustments…

Greg,

You’re such a nerd, and I like it. Lol. Smart sprinkler systems. Who’d have thunk it. I might have to look into this just so I can geek out on it.

Orbitz smart sprinkler control

Now this gives me a few ideas. Way more than just a drip system for my train. Thanks Greg you are a huge help…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

overthinking it. controller, simple as can be , 2 stations and use the hose to water the tree, barely turn it on and let it run for about an hour filling the well around base of the tree root system. 2 stations to water all the plants, 1/2 g an hour drippers and small 1/4" line sprayers. Get the round adjustable sprayers and dial according to plant needs. Quit thinking it 97 ways from sideways!

I’ve got a even simpler solution. Take a bucket, fill with water. Walk to plant, dump water. Repeat. Or make it automatic by making your kids do it for you.

Pete Lassen said:

overthinking it.

Happens. For example, who wants to be out in the garden, digging in the mud, working on a line with water spraying everywhere, and have to drag their smartphone or tablet out there where it will get wet and covered in mud. My transmitter is waterproof with a membrane keypad.

Devon, that system “Homeseer” controls interior and exterior lights, sprinklers, drip systems and fountain pumps. It changes schedules according to the length of the days. I have not automated the system to turn off if the ground is wet, but it’s a simple $30 sensor. Oh, it even supplies power to the train layout.

I have it to put everything on a single system, instead of having many different systems that have to be set. Also burglar/intrusion alarm, and camera system integrated.

Overall, very flexible, like one program turns on the hall and kitchen lights at 6am only if it is a work day and it is dark (before sunrise), so lights are on in the morning if needed.

So, all I had to add for the sprinklers was a panel with 16 relays to directly control the water solenoids. Even the filling of the fountains is automated.

Overall, less time to mess with stuff, and I can control it from anywhere in a secure manner, none of my stuff is in the cloud.

Greg