Large Scale Central

Double crossover with LGB 1600 series switches?

Missed that Sorry

Jon Radder said:
[This allows all switches to be in the diverging route position and the circuit will not run up against a improperly thrown switch.

I didn’t realize that until Peter pointed it out early in this thread.

Not quite, the turnout which has the inner loop return to the outer loop is thrown against the traffic of the outer loop running CCW or CW, however since the frogs aren’t powered and the turnouts act like spring switches it doesn’t matter. :wink: i.e. throwing one turnout on the inner and the outer loop allows for running in that loop.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Jon Radder said:
[This allows all switches to be in the diverging route position and the circuit will not run up against a improperly thrown switch.

Not quite, the turnout which has the inner loop return to the outer loop is thrown against the traffic of the outer loop running CCW or CW, however since the frogs aren’t powered and the turnouts act like spring switches it doesn’t matter. :wink: i.e. throwing one turnout on the inner and the outer loop allows for running in that loop.

No, Jon’s right! All the switches are set to the diverging (curving) position and the train only travels on properly set switches.
Simplified:

_______/,\_______   The straight segment between each pair of switches (the ,,,) is never 
                                      /                             \  traversed (It was easier to draw the two loops this way rather than
                                      \___________ _____/  nested, but it still works).

I tried to find some combination of “D loops” that reproduces this but I don’t think it’s possible.
Peter

Peter Blier said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Jon Radder said:

No, Jon’s right! All the switches are set to the diverging (curving) position and the train only travels on properly set switches.
Simplified:

_______/,\_______   The straight segment between each pair of switches (the ,,,) is never 
                                      /                             \  traversed (It was easier to draw the two loops this way rather than

I tried to find some combination of “D loops” that reproduces this but I don’t think it’s possible.
Peter

If that is the case, why bother with turnouts at all? Just curious as to your thoughts.

Steve Featherkile said:
If that is the case, why bother with turnouts at all? Just curious as to your thoughts.
Ah! We want to keep open the option of having two trains running separately on the two lines, or of using the whole layout as one long line. The outer loop only (wider curves) would also be available for live steam. I'm told it will need de-gooping if/when we want to use it for electric, which is fine, but we want to keep the inner, original line pristine. We'll have track isolators to keep the loops electrically separate when needed, but we'll also be able to have the whole thing on one circuit. Does that make sense?

Peter

Peter Blier said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Jon Radder said:

Simplified:

Peter

Well, I’m two steps ahead and running two trains at the same time with one running the long way and the other running the short way (outer loop), you need a bit of variety.

BTW in German the crossing/turnout combo is referred to as the suspender arrangement.