Large Scale Central

Disintegrating Bolsters on Bachmann Fn3 Murphy Roof Boxcar

Indeed the metal on at least one production run of the Bachmann Murphy Roof box cars are junk. I have lots on our railroad. Most of the trucks have been replaced and I am now replacing the bolsters on about 2-4 cars a year.

While a little time consuming I have found the replacementment of the boosters relatively straightforward.

The hard part for me is taking the frame off the car. Since the cars have been outside dirt has gotten around the frame and glue from replacing the stirups means that it takes a little prying to get the frame removed from the car. I always replace both bolsters when a car comes in with a broken bolster since once the frame is off it takes only a little time to replace the second bolster and if one broke the second will break in time.

One hint. One of the holes on the replacement boosters needs to be drilled out or the pipe will not go through it. As delivered the hole has some flange in it

Fortunately only the Murphy Roof boxcars have this problem. None of the trucks, steps of bolsters has broken off any of my other Bachmann Sprectrum cars or replacement trucks.

Stan

PS I just purchased some additional bolsters so they are in stock. If you have these cars and any of the metal parts have broken off its best to get the parts now while they are in stock.

So I guess I need to look closer at how the car was built up. I just yanked the truss rood out of the bolster and of course I broke the queens posts in the process.

I’m assuming that with the car off the frame, the truss rods can just be lifted out of the bolsters.

Indeed. If you still have the car instructions it shows the frame. You need to take the 4 screws on the bolsters off and one of the coupler screws on each end (forgot which one so I normally just take both out)

Then you can pry the frame off the body. There are two small screws on each end holding the end plate on. After an end plate is off you slide the old bolster parts off and the new ones in. The bolsters have a key that fits into the sides of the frame.

Stan

PS If you do not take the frame off the car you will likely do a lof of damage to the underframe when you try to replace the bolsters.

1 Like

Thanks for that advice. I’ll be tacking this soon.

Success! Following Stan’s advice I removed the frame. This was made difficult when I replaced the disintegrating steps with home-brew steps and NBW* castings. Seems the castings went into the side frame. I was able to force one side out without damage, then used a Dremel to grind away the castings to remove the interference so replacement will be easy.

It’s a lot of fun to thread all those rods and pipes through the bolsters, but I did it after drilling out one hole that wasn’t cast completely open.

C.V.S.Ry. #152 should be back in service this evening :grin:

:rooster: * NBW = Nut Bolt Washer

1 Like