Large Scale Central

Discovery of the month

As I recall, you flipped the bonnet assembly forward, and then sat on the front tyre to wrench on the motor.

Greg Elmassian said:
Dang, I was hoping we would bring back Whitworth fasteners! I had a real Mini Cooper, had to buy a set of whitworth wrenches to work on it!

Now that was fun!

Sheesh Greg, I mentioned this before but here goes. :wink: :slight_smile: :wink:

In the German speaking world an adjustable is called “Engländer” (Englishman); I couldn’t figure the root of that 'til I saw some of the Brit millwrights/fitters have a go at things. Hammer, screw driver and adjustable is all it takes. And a set of Vise-Grips for all those times when the bolt heads and fittings have been slightly rounded because of the adjustable. :lol: Sight to behold! :confused: :wink: :smiley:

In this country an adjustable is called a “knuckle-buster”…:wink:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
...a set of Vise-Grips...
Ah. If you are going to take the piss out of British craftsmen, you should really use THEIR teminology.

NOT Vise-grips, but Mole Grips…

tac

TAC,

Here in NA most everyone knows what Vise-Grips are, Mole-Grips OTOH could be some subversive torture implement that is used in the underground.
It’s mostly about communication; doesn’t make sense to mention “boot” when I really mean “trunk”, eh!?! And sleepers are those subversives that haven’t been discovered yet, not what goes under rails; those are ties, but not the kind you wear around your neck, either!

Well I just don’t know, no wonder so many people have problems with English, eh!?! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Well I just don't know, no wonder so many people have problems with English, eh!?! :P :D :P :lol:
Two countries divided by a common language. It was once maintained, possibly by Mr Punch, that the very best English was spoken in Aberdeen.
Chris Vernell said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Well I just don't know, no wonder so many people have problems with English, eh!?! :P :D :P :lol: .
Two countries divided by a common language. It was once maintained, possibly by Mr Punch, that the very best English was spoken in Aberdeen. .
That is Aberdeen, Washington, USA, right? Just down the road from Grey's Harbor, the western terminus of the Northern Pacific RR?

Darn sure wouldn’t be Aberdeen GA or Aberdeen MA or Aberdeen NY…should such places exist. They can’t understand each other…:confused:

Steve Featherkile said:
Chris Vernell said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Well I just don't know, no wonder so many people have problems with English, eh!?! :P :D :P :lol: .
Two countries divided by a common language. It was once maintained, possibly by Mr Punch, that the very best English was spoken in Aberdeen. .
That is Aberdeen, Washington, USA, right? Just down the road from Grey's Harbor, the western terminus of the Northern Pacific RR?
"There even are places where English completely disappears '"Why, in America they haven't used it for years!" Prof H Higgins
Warren Mumpower said:
I have no problems with the metric system. I have no problems with the imperial system. What I do have a BIG problem with is car manufacturers that make cars that are half metric and half imperial. Did a brake job on one of my Mini Vans....3/8 fitting on one side to bleed the brakes and a 10mm on the other....:(
Welcome to my world Warren! Todays cars are fixed with software as well.....:P

The problem there is that the “soft” ware has nothing to do with computers…:smiley:

Chris Vernell said:
"There even are places where English completely disappears '"Why, in America they haven't used it for years!" Prof H Higgins
Seems English is under more threat than Prof. Higgins acknowledged. This morning's Santa Rosa, CA Press Democrat newspaper has a want ad for "production workers" which includes the notation ". . . spanish speakers preferred . . .".

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Chris Vernell said:
"There even are places where English completely disappears '"Why, in America they haven't used it for years!"
An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him, The moment he talks he makes some other Englishman despise him. One common language I'm afraid we'll never get. Oh, why can't the English learn to set A good example to people whose English is painful to your ears? The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears....

Prof. 'enry 'iggins

Steve Featherkile said:
Chris Vernell said:
"There even are places where English completely disappears '"Why, in America they haven't used it for years!"
An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him, The moment he talks he makes some other Englishman despise him. One common language I'm afraid we'll never get. Oh, why can't the English learn to set A good example to people whose English is painful to your ears? The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears....

Prof. 'enry 'iggins

Steve, that’s the problem with drinking, Scotch or other stuff, too much can leave you close to tears.