Large Scale Central

Dave's 2024 Mik Challenge

Master or not, that is one good looking set of doors, Dave. Is the frame and hinges part of the casting or are they added to the cast doors? I seem to remember seeing those stones somewhere before :grinning:

Dan they were the 2016? Challenge where Dave made a bag full for everyone that entered and I actually sent some to another contestant to use

Well… Sad News in Taylor town… Major mechanical issues at the Taylor Tin Works… Was notified yesterday that they will be unable to supply the tin for this years build… Lucky for me, I have enough for the roof , but not for the walls…

So onto plan “C or is it D by now”… An the 3 options for the freight shed would be… Stone it all up ( I have the stones ) or Lap Siding ( I would have to cut up ) or Board & Batten… I have plenty of stone buildings already, And I really don’t want to cut and place all the little things for lap siding on the metal… So i’m going to board and batten… And away we go…

My way of doing the B&B is to fake the Battens… In the past I’ve had failure of the little tiny applied battens after a couple of seasons, so I apply a board, and then the batten is a separate board of the right width and it stands proud of the boards. The thicker battens seem to be staying in better shape.

So I had to cut up that old re-claimed Cedar fence picket, and it’s sister too for the B&B, and I figured out what I needed for the Dock and decking, Spent most of today cutting and building the loading dock and some B&Bing…

The dock wraps around the building…

Lots of little pieces and angular cuts… But the base is done and tomorrow I’ll start decking it.

And still to do will be the ramp on the other end…
I feel like I’ve caught up and should be done ahead of schedule…

Stay tuned…

2 Likes

looking great Dave. sorry to here about Taylor Tin having manufacturing issues. Hope they get the supply problem fixed soon.

The platform looks great. It is almost a shame to plank over it.
I like you approach to the board and batten style. In the past I have used a dado blade to cut away for the “boards” and leave the height for the “battens” but that takes a lot of planning and effort on a bigger build. I have also used craft sticks for battens. I glue the back with tightbond3 and pin nail them on then using a paint brush I run the glue at every edge. It seals it and it has held up in my climate but I don’t about your hot desert. Your way of doing it is much better and it will last. Very clever.

The Ladies Scrapbook Conglomerate may be the cause for Taylor Tin not being able to get the necessary parts. Herself was quite excited yesterday day and said the LSC (Oh Bob, the irony), had tooled up with Fiskars Inc and purchased their last crimper and shipped it to Australia.

The LSC apparently want to become a roofing supplier to the town of Susanville and to DSP&P operations in the area and hope in the future export cladding made from recycled Pepsi cans to Amtrak and American Airlines.

I only ask, only after the Mik, whether any of the historical photographic documents from your 2016 build survived and are recoverable, as I was unable to show Herself what the LSC had to compete with, on the Taylor Tinworks Challenge LSC webpage .

Yup I think that I can get them re-posted…BTW: Taylor Tin… is not Fiskers crimped.

I actually built a roller press, and the crimps are correct in number per foot and depth.

I broke the drive gears between the two driving rollers… Can be fixed, just don’t have time with Mik to do the machining…

1 Like

I will attest to the fact that Taylor Tin is no cheap imposter. I use the Fiskers also but when we received Taylor Tin it was a quality product. Dave done good with that crimper.

Amazing work, Dave. I love all the stonework. And everything else.

Is this a tool that should be marketed?

Nah… If I were to motorize it… I could turn out 150+ per hour… I did machine two sets of dies… 1:20.3 and 1:29 Scale.

I have bunches of left over 1:29 tin already made…

1 Like

Spent almost the whole Miking… Lots done and the pin nailer was smoking hot by the end of the day…

Got the decking all done on the Loading dock, One stick at a time, and 4 3/8" pins…

Then Spent the rest of the day putting up the Board and Battens… Hundreds of pins latter, and its all sided…

So some new all around pics…

Lots of decking, and a gazillion Pins…

![IMG_5854|690x426]
(upload://dleLUcnQLPINQFCNq9PND98qmWX.jpeg)
And the Right side with the ramp…Even more pins…

Of Course the doors are only temp. Still need to do some casting… I sat back and wondered if I had set a record for pins in a day, so I started to count… shouldn’t have… but I did…812+ pins in the dock and deck… And another 755 in the B&B…

Next up the roof… Stay tuned!

4 Likes

That is looking amazing Dave.

All those pins and wood are coming together very nicely. Will you paint it or leave it natural? It would almost be a shame to paint it.

The wife and I discussed about painting it last night… hummmm

The whole thing is looking rather mono-chromatic… same old ,same old…I thought about giving it a good coat of poly… and seeing how that looks… usually brings out the richness of the Cedar…

Then discussed giving the decking a good dose of Ink wash to tone it down…Maybe even give some dolly marks on the boards In -N- Out of the dock door…

I guess that once Polyied, If I didn’t like the looks, then It would be a good sealer for painting over…

1 Like

Didn’t get a whole lot of Miking done today but a bit of progress…

The roof will extend over the dock area, so I had to come up with some sort of support… a nice big truss will do nicely.

Using the roof line as guide…

This truss will be held up by 2 posts at the end of the Dock. To fasten the posts to the truss, I’ll use a dowel pin in the truss and the end of the dowel.! 1/16" hole drilled.
IMG_5862|331x500

For the pins I use 1/16" welding rod ( cheap at the welding store)

And the post and truss…

Center punched the location, and drilled…

And the truss in location:

Up next… start on the roof…
Stay tuned.

Amazing craftsmanship Dave. I was surprised to hear welding rod was the cheaper option!

Is it proper to comment on how nice your system of drawers look in the back ground and wonder how your local library is functioning without their Dewey Decimal filing card system? :wink:

Beautiful work Dave. We are building similar structures with very different methods. Yours looks very nice. I bow and applaud.

Thanks for the nice words.
I hand made the drawers…Even put the little card window pulls on them… But notice …No cards 4 years later, post-it’s work too…

Don’t ask me how I ended here. I have an LSC conspiracy theory though… Surprisingly I watched it through to the end.

Anyway, it gave me an appreciation for one guy making a gear. They had 20.3 guys on this job.