Large Scale Central

CRICUT Explore Air

Here is the first attempt at using it as a stencil. I am pleased. Need to refine the technique but I think it looks dang good. Some weathering and it will look nice. The fuzzy white at the bottom is from me trying to clean up some small runs where it seeped under. But I do know how to prevent that, I just forgot my good painting practices.

Can’t wait to do the other side and see if I can produce some cleaner results.

I like it! How tall are stencil letters?

Later,

K

Is this the same Devon??? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Nice!

Kevin they are a little less than 1/4 inch.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Is this the same Devon??? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Nice!

I wasn’t going to give this little nugget away just yet. It is just about done and I will post pictures of the entire car when I do get it done. It is what I have been working on the past two weeks. This was just a spoiler because I was excited to finally put the cricut to work.

We was wondering what you were up to/avoiding …(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Looks good Devon. I’m watching this thread because my wife just got one of these machines from our daughter and my first thought was vinyl lettering for my train projects.

Chuck,

if your at the meeting you will see it firsthand. I convinced my wife she needed it. It sits on my workbench, she has never even turned it on. So far the thing is great.

I like the idea of cutting vinyl…sounds like a neat way to make lettering etc…

another thing I would like to do is cut wood veneer…it is probably 1/32" thick but can be quite hard depending on species. has anyone here done that? would it work? it takes some effort to cut with an exacto , sometimes two passes.

Eric,

So far on this project I think it is a great way to do custom lettering. Versatile in that it works as actual letters but then it works for stencils and mask though I haven’t used it for masking yet. I am very pleased. Not sure you will get smaller with the cricut than I am getting.

As for veneer I bet it would. The new cutter I have is carbide and the machine is set to cut leather and fabric. I know others have cut styrene. I have some wood veneer maybe I will give it a shot. Put it wouldn’t take any more pressure to cut veneer than it would leather I wouldn’t think. At the very least I think it will score nice clean lines that could be followed with an exacto knife.

@Eric, Won’t work!!! the system uses an offset cut blade, and will only cut about 7-9mill thick stuff. It can be made to cut thicker, like rubber foam for sand blasting, but only on certain machines that can handle them.

You will need a laser or router CNC type machine to cut veneer.

Dave Taylor said:

@Eric, Won’t work!!! the system uses an offset cut blade, and will only cut about 7-9mill thick stuff. It can be made to cut thicker, like rubber foam for sand blasting, but only on certain machines that can handle them.

I think the machine I am using the explore air is set up to do the thicker stuff. I will have to look again but I am sure it was meant for some deeper cuts.

Yeah just checked and it specifically list veneer list of materials

It cuts all sorts of stuff.

It looks like it should cut veneer from the materials listing…that would be cool vs spending thousands on a laser…if it actually works. the veneer is thin, so no extra deep cuts are not required but it can be hard depending what wood I use. it is paper backed so it shouldn’t split. should cut like a cereal box–the veneer is about that thick. of course there is extra thin veneer too…that should be easy!

I’ll have to study it some more.

A blog I’ve been following has been posting about this same machine. Rene has been cutting out various thickness and sizes, and figured out the tolerances of the machine. Check out the link…
https://pembroke87.wordpress.com/

Well the Explore Air cuts veneer like a champ.

This is not even the paper backed stuff this is real wood veneer, fairly thick. I forgot to set the blade depth and this was cut on the vinyl setting. But almost went all the way through. Cut at a deeper depth I am sure it will make it. I used the high grade German carbide cutter. This is maple and black walnut. Both fairly hard woods. Makes doing inlay work easy. This is contact cemented to a piece of 1/8 birch plywood.

Eric Schade said:

…that would be cool vs spending thousands on a laser…if it actually works. the veneer is thin,

============================================================================

LASERS… You can now buy them (blue beam types) for about 150 to 500 dollars from Banggood. and others…(depending on wattage of the laser head). Max they have is 5 watts…but it does a decent job on up to 3mm proper LASERPLY with a couple of passes.

Ordinary ply has different glues and is very difficult to cut with these smaller machines.

They can also cut/engrave other materials. Prices vary vendor to vendor so look around. being Chinese don’t expect any technical help that’s why a dedicated forum was started for lots of info on setting up and operating them at www.bencutlaser.us.

The program that comes with them is ok but it is best if a separate program is purchased from the forum. (I am not connected with the forum except as a user!)…

There are 2 programs available to suit either engraving and or cutting…($39.95 each). You can use them to test before buying them so that you get the “feel” of them .

No other program is suitable for operating these lasers. This is the only forum you will find dedicated to these machines…

NOTE…NEVER CUT PVC material(s) with a laser unless there is an absolutely ai****rtight exhaust system…it’s toxic. It is advisable to “box” these machines with an Orange plexiglass viewing window in the top AND for you AND others in the area to wear the appropriate colour safety spectacles (usually for Blue laser beams, Orange) when the machine is operating.