Large Scale Central

Cheap and easy bridges

Extraordinary, I am amazed its proving so difficult. Urm, Steve, the idea ? I thot that was me ? Sorry perhaps I am being dim. Any way the thought of doing a supply piece meal for large scale modellers worldwide fills me with horror.

Mason bogies anyone ?

Rod Hayward said:
Extraordinary, I am amazed its proving so difficult. Urm, Steve, the idea ? I thot that was me ? Sorry perhaps I am being dim. Any way the thought of doing a supply piece meal for large scale modellers worldwide fills me with horror.

Mason bogies anyone ?

T’was your idea to build the bridge, mine to market and sell it. That’s why I’m only charging you 20%. But if you insist, I can be persuaded to go higher. :lol:

Curiously, I found a 36 inch piece of steel half inch angle for the amazingly low price of $3.82 USD.

Oh. OK then, here is twenty virtual bucks…

I searched all over google this morning. In the UK this stuff, called “UPVC,” is as common as mud. Here in the US, I learned, we don’t call it UPVC, we apparenty call it “rigid PVC” or just “vinyl.”

Is this it?

http://store.how-to-install-windows.com/angletrim.html

Or maybe this?

http://www.how-to-install-windows.com/accessories.html

For some reason this does not seem to be available in the US

Funny how this hit…at right the same time I’m replacing a couple doors and windows at my Mom and Dad’s house…seems we have a lot of J channel stuff, seemingly because our doors and windows come pre hung or packaged and vinyl siding is all the rage. I think we can us J channel by slicing off one portion and using the resulting angle…the stuff we slice off can become crossbracing. I’m wary of using CA outdoors, since the stuff was developed originally to be liquid stiches, it tends to be water soluable, therfore I plan to use my old standby LAwn and Garden Goop. I might find the time to make a test piece this weekend for demo purposes…

Two summers ago when we bought our house and replaced all the windows they came with this angle and another neat U channel that was about 4 inches wide and an inch deep. Since we used very little of the stuff installing the windows I saved it all. Seems you’ve got to be able to find it someplace on this side of the pond? I’d agree about outdoors and CA glue too! Goop or something else should work better longer.

Chas

I find this miraculous angle Id try to glue it using PVC glue

This stuff welds when you use CA, so its not just a glue together job, its alil more permanent. As I said earlier its used on facias. Tellyou what, mine is outside now, so why dont you wait til spring and I’ll post how it holds up.