Large Scale Central

Cast Resin Frogs and points?

I would have to say that all of my frogs and points are homemade save for a few that I came across over the years. I used code 250 ns rail from micro engineering, and a 5" disk sander. I used 220 grit and the material came off plenty fast for me. I would leave the rail long for handling purposes as it gets hot fast, and have water handy for cooling. I used paper templates attached to a pine board to position the pieces as well as check size as I am grinding. this allowed for many custom fit issues to be dealt with as well. when everything fit well and was spiked to the board I used a blob of clay as a dam, then applied liberal amounts of paste flux, and using my resistance solder unit and some old 60/40 solder put them together. after they cool I pull the spikes and use a file to clean up. points just need lots of grinding. I typically will make one on each end of a 3’ length so I can let one end cool while working on grinding the other. I typically clean up with some heavy duty files. I do not have an accurate count but it is over 20 turnouts.

once you have made a couple they go quick, especially if you build in a production mode.

Al P.

I find that these work well for “casting frogs” and the points are no problem if you are careful.