Large Scale Central

Bridge building

I’m considerreing dressing up a section of PT 4x4 for a bridge on the way to Buchanan…

Just make sure that it is dry and straight before you install it. PT has a habit of twisting in the wind!

Bart Salmons said:
I'm considerreing dressing up a section of PT 4x4 for a bridge on the way to Buchanan........
You might be better off using 1x and making a square tube, with internal blocking at intervals to keep it square. In my experience, less likely to warp or twist than a solid 4x4.

Chris is oh so correct.

An average 4x4 timber tends to twist as it dries out. You are far better to build a box girder out of 1x4’s, than to use a 4x4.

I agree about PTP pine–it’s just a warp and twist-fest. I dislike that stuff. It’s heavy, it’s unstable, and it leaches poison

An Alternative might be the 1x “tuff board” home depot sells. It’s rot resistant, it’s much lighter than PTP and it’s dimensionally stable. I’m already using it as ladder roadbed

Found some! 2 pieces of 4x4 x 10 PVC downspout. Bought them both

Hello, plastruct display kiosk

We’ll make a modeler out you yet, Mike…:wink:

Got some plastruct angle and T yesterday on the way home from work. Maybe I can get a little don on it over the next couple days

I also ordered some of that Garden Metal Models catwalk. Not sure I’ll like the overall effect, but if not I can use it somewhere else

Bob, did you have a prototype for spacing the T pieces or did you just eyeball it?

mike omalley said:
I can't find any square ABS downspout around here--not yet anyway. I'll keep looking
Mike,

Why not go to the Genova Products website:

http://www.genovaproducts.com/

I think the product you want is RW200 - 2.5 x 2.5" x 10’. It also comes in black.

The website does not have a dealer locator but you could call their main office and get a list of stocking distributors by zip code - (810) 744-4500.

Brian

I just eyeballed it. There really isnt a prototype spacing that’s standard, anyway. It looks “ok” to my eye.

So I finished my Bob-inspired bridge. Inspired is the wrong word–I stole the whole idea. Simple but a big improvement over what was there

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/lownote/_forumfiles/bridge.jpg)

Thanks bob! My wife vetoed painting it black and called for red/brown. She also vetoed the catwalk I started to install. Part of the peril of running a joint-stock corporation. She has a voting stake. I made the pyramidal bridge piers out of cast concrete–my first attempt ever. I used a plywood mold and patcher cement with some hardware cloth “rebar.” It came out pretty well, but I’ve ordered some “Quarry Sticks” from Stoneworks and I’m going to try facing them in sandstone

Very nice! I bet it’s a lot cheaper than some of those other alternatives!

I like the pillars as they are, but the stone should look neat too.

Your wife has a voting stake? You’re lucky…mine has a veto-proof majority. :wink:

That’s why we have BOb!!
Just kidding!
Great job!!
Sean

Mike that is very nice. I also like the pillars just as the are.
Bob, thanks for the idea that I might use it some day also.

Rodney

Good job, Mike…I like it!

Very nice work, those pillars look great!