Large Scale Central

Brian D or any other "former scientist"

Mark Dash said:
Thanks guys for the insight you have presented, nice to see a topic stay on target!!
Were we "Slammed"? I think we were "slammed". Yep, pretty certain I heard that door hit the door jam.

Hi,
just to add something that may help, I have read on another forum where the users who have track problems run a carpenters pencil (graphite) over the rail head to help conductivity. This is an indoor forum so I don’t know if it will work for long outside. I was waiting until I had some track down to test it myself but reading this thread i think may be the way for someone to try it out and give a result.
Regards
Dave

Last night, a guy asked if we rub quarters on the rail so the trains will run. Never heard of that one. I showed him our scotchbrite cleaners.

Interesting topic. Here is my 2 cents.

I have a small layout, three loops, about 175ft total. All brass. Run LGB, Bachmann, USA but mostly Aristo. Locos with sliders will always run fine without track cleaning. AC diesels I have that have power pick up problems were early ones with little weight. Newer locos have more weight and run fine on uncleaned track. I have an early RS3 which sputtered and stuttered. I added weight so the total weight matched a new RS3. No problem with dirty track now.
If I run several times a week I never have a need to clean track. Newly ballasted areas are always a problem until the fines settle down.
In four years I have never cleaned a loco wheel. Just don’t see a build up of dirt on them.

I have about 325 feet of track and I clean the track about 3 times a year . And the trains run good