Large Scale Central

Border Crossings

Ah ha. If that had been me, the drug sniffing dogs (what a job (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)) would be trotted out, and I would be strip searched. Maybe the southern border guards are more friendly since they aren’t freezing their tucases off half of the year.

Crossing the border is Always an adventure…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ken Brunt said:

Crossing the border is Always an adventure…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

If I should ever cross the border I would want Ken to drive !

LOL!!

Devon Sinsley said: …One of the standard questions that they asked is are you carrying cash in excess of $10,000.00 dollars. I asked her why they cared and she told me. So I told her that I had $9,999.99. She told me I had better watch my attitude or she would tare my car apart to find the 2 cents that are in the seats…

You got to admit, that is really funny! She got you good on that one…very quick thinking!

John Passaro said:

Devon Sinsley said: …One of the standard questions that they asked is are you carrying cash in excess of $10,000.00 dollars. I asked her why they cared and she told me. So I told her that I had $9,999.99. She told me I had better watch my attitude or she would tare my car apart to find the 2 cents that are in the seats…

You got to admit, that is really funny! She got you good on that one…very quick thinking!

Oh she definitely did. She really is a great border patrol agent. Always very friendly, knows us by now and asks my son how he played even if we haven’t said we were there for hockey (she doesn’t even ask anymore), and always has a laugh about something. She is pretty easy on the eyes too. Just a very pleasant person in a job where most are not pleasant. And it proves you can be and still do your job.

David Russell said:

Ken Brunt said:

Just make sure your wearing clean undies…:wink:

From hitchhiking in Europe at 17 and crossing the Border into East Germany (Soviet Area) to go to Berlin and being strip searched by three machine gun carrying border guards, with all my worldly possessions just dumped on the concrete floor… the girls driving the vehicle ‘spoke’ German and refused to open up the trunk-it was broken and could not be opened, a story to talk about for years afterward…

The one memory that repeats is soon after September 11th in early October, 2001, I had been at a government conference in Alberta, and decided to take a short holiday down to Colorado and back. I decided to avoid the main crossing into Montana and take a secondary one. I crossed without difficulty on the secondary roads and came over a hill descending down…Ahead of me, I saw US Army vehicles and troops on both sides of the highway setting up what looked like an extensive line on both sides of the road. I immediately slowed down, and watched in dismay as the machine guns on all the Humveys pointed at my car and followed me. Even the troops stopped what they were doing and watched me slowly go by…I recovered with a beer later at lunch!

On the way back, again to a secondary border crossing into Alberta from the US and for the first and only time, I was brought to a halt on the American side by two American border guards, one with an automatic weapon who then proceeded to search my car…One opened the trunk, went through confidential government documents in my bag there, while the second one with the weapon watched me closely. I had gotten out to protest the opening of the bag; I was discouraged from doing so. The Canadian border guards only had smiles on their faces as I crossed. But they did their bit too…

I was happy to not cross the border for a while after that. My wife and I still use secondary crossings to this day, as near more scenic areas and while there is often keener viewing of the vehicle and questioning, both sides are usually more polite as they have more time to deal with you…

Ken Brunt said:

David Russell said:

Ken Brunt said:

Just make sure your wearing clean undies…:wink:

Ditto!

Doug, yes, I do know the U.S. has its customs agents embedded in your country. And I thank you for that. We have disembarked from a cruise in Vancouver (a beautiful city with a great airport, BTW) and found it convenient to go through both customs in one swell foop. As for customs agents, whom we deal with several times a year, our experiences have been mostly positive. When we return from Europe through various U.S airports, more often than not, the agent says, “Welcome back.” Back when I was working, for a car magazine and returning from a European introduction, when the agent asked me what I was doing abroad and I’d tell him, the conversation would go into discussing cars, which would piss off other passengers who just wanted to get on with it. In Miami, a lady customs agent, seeing our pile of luggage said, “What ya got in there, the kitchen sink?” I replied, “Yep,” which led her to ask, "What kind? And I said, “Kohler, of course.” Everybody had a good laugh.