Large Scale Central

Bluestone Southern Update

Dear Andy,

Wow, that’s huge !

Any way you can post a diagram of the layout and give dimensions? Perhaps a picture of your drawings?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Andy Clarke said:
Ric Golding said:
Trust me the story is real. When he's done, I'm going to write a book titled - "Fun Things You Can Do With A Soy Bean Field".
Do i get a free copy????
He'll trade ya a pair of boots for a copy.........;)

So should I come a day early for Golding’s OPS session?

I happen to be in the area of Andy’s this past week and stopped by to see the layout and give Jane a empty bottle of Riesling. That was supposed to be for the picnic but I drank it while Ike came thru St. Louis. And I must say I was there a year ago and the total transformation is awesome. Andy and Jane have a beautiful Layout. I can’t wait till the next time I see it.

Todd

Joe Satnik said:
Dear Andy, Any way you can post a diagram of the layout and give dimensions? Perhaps a picture of your drawings? Sincerely, Joe Satnik

Joe, I haven’t really measured the railroad, but here is a drawing picture of the proposed layout diagram…

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/andyc/Bluestone%20Southern%20Layout%20Design%20/Outside_Layout_Diagram_Web.jpg)

the lower right siding is 44 feet long, just to give some idea of dimensions… the tall wooden temp bridge is 28 feet long… the track running under it, on the branch line is 15 foot diameter curves… the temp “V” bridge is about 18 foot long, overall for one side… hope that helps…

Good grief…hope my batteries don’t run down traversing that layout…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:
Good grief................hope my batteries don't run down traversing that layout.............;)
Ken, I think you might just make it....

Ric’s Doodlebug almost made it, but it found the washout… <operator possibly was distracted, someone mentioned ““pulled pork””>… And, yes, the washout was fixed, but has since rained, so, we’ll see how the fix worked shortly…

Once the mud was cleaned off it, I think it made it around the loop we had created…

Dan’s engine made it around, and so did my GP-40… Jim’s LGB railtruck with a trailer made it, even thru the washout… It left a mighty fine set of flange imprints in the mud, but never did derail…

I’ll bring extra batteries :wink:

Ric Golding said:
Trust me the story is real. When he's done, I'm going to write a book titled - "Fun Things You Can Do With A Soy Bean Field".
Chuckle! Imagine what Hollywood could do with it! Scene One: On a backdrop of a huge American flag (sometimes waving, sometimes not) General Golding steps out onto the stage - and throws mud at the audience!

Andy, looking at your seven-and-a-half from our not-quite-a-quarter, I have turned a bright shade of green.

I think we all need to help Andy design the bridge for the big span. I vote for something like the Rock Island Bridge in Little Rock

(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/183/397973303_73e629a765.jpg?v=0)

or the bridge in High Bridge, KY.

(http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/5230162.jpg)

I love the legs on the High Bridge.

Bob, Actually, the 28 foot bridge will be like this, eventually:

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/andyc/Possible%20Railroad%20bridge%20-%201.jpg)

Andy,

Talk about empire building…wow! Instead of water tanks every few miles you’ll need battery recharge/swap stations. :wink: Really a great looking project. Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.

Richard, thank you…

I'm actually, one of those ""Dismal"" guys, I want/like to run multiple units and about 30 cars on trains, so, it actually has to have some size and distance with it..

The shortline part of it, is actually a semi-accurate modelers license replication of the mainline thru town here...  All part of the old L&N line..  It currently serves 3 towns elevators out here in the county, dead ends, and returns to Evansville, Indiana...  My branch line will do the same...

Yeah , I live at the Eastern terminal of the Bluestone Southern , another railroad to railfan on .
Is that beautiful old station still standing at Dahlgren Illinois ? In Pre interstate days , it was always a nice sight to see on the trip West .

Dennis Paulson said:
Yeah , I live at the Eastern terminal of the Bluestone Southern , another railroad to railfan on . Is that beautiful old station still standing at Dahlgren Illinois ? In Pre interstate days , it was always a nice sight to see on the trip West .
Dennis, last time I was thru there, which was about a month ago or so, the old station is still there, been reworked, painted and looks good....

Richard,

He offers no water plugs for anyone running steam on his line. We have to bring our own water supply tanks and pull/carry the water with us. Tough crowd, he even laughs at you when you get in his mud.