Large Scale Central

Bettendorf truck

Funny you mention this. I am in the process of Devoning a rolling cart that will be the “Cart of Shame” that will hold all my unfinished projects out in the open so they can look at me with their pitiful eyes and beg to be finished. I have resolved to clear out the current “Box of Shame”. And while I would be lying if I said I won’t start a new project before finishing the old ones, I am currently working on two of those pitiful orphans. One is a secret project I started a year ago that is seeing some rapid progress and then the STMA chop nose GP9 is seeing progress as well.

And on another note, after those two are finished then I think I am going to break out the shelf queen 2-6-0 that was my introduction to LSC but that I could never get to run right, and with the aid of 3D printing giver her a new properly aligned chassis. I was lookng at it the other day and I am positive with the aid of my new 3D printing skills can rebuild the chassis to much better tolerances and that will keep the drivers from wanting to reverse. That is the only issue with her. The existing cobbled together front frame section was just to sloppy and imprecise and it was not keeping the front driver properly quartered and it wanted to try and reverse. I think I can print an entire motor block/chassis using the Bachmann motor and drivers and then print some better one piece side rods and fix the entire problem. So you may see that back on the table very soon.

Cool. Sometimes it just takes time :mantelpiece_clock: to figure out a way to proceed - or you need to let technology catch up, or you just need to develop new skills.

Don’t worry about the old projects unless you now have a way to complete them easily. :skull:

2 Likes

Well some may just die. Some were just not working out and need to be abandon. My little compressed air loco might end up that way.

Yep, when you first start a project it sure seems OK, but often as you get deeper into it, it turns into not such a good idea and NOT worth putting any more time into it; nothing wrong with abandonment - ESPECIALLY if you can use the parts that you have in the NEXT project! :innocent:

1 Like

Do not discard the CA locomotive, you can use it as a deadline about to be sent for scrap or as a display in a park type. Or toss it in a stream bed as a oops they never bothered to pull out of the canyon type of thing

1 Like

OR…you could just Devon the whole thing… :innocent:

2 Likes

He already did that step, he is on to the next step Re Pete Devoning!

So I printed the first of the one piece Bettendorf trucks. Appears I am still having an issue with my printer screen. Over all the print was an epic fail. Apparently, my screen is not lighting up all the pixels and it results in “drilling” vertical holes through my prints. Its an odd problem to have especially given the mixed printing results I have had. Since different resin cures at different rates than others, this hole “drilling” effect does not manifest itself the same way. In one resin which has quick cure times and I am over exposing it, there is cure “bleed over” and it fills in the holes. But this also diminishes details. In the other resin I used it has much longer cure times and is more in line with my settings and thus there was not the bleed over and the holes did not fill in. I am just assuming this is whats going on based on a similar problem Cliff had and a discussion with my friend Mike who is a very experienced resin printer.

What I do know is when I get the screen issue fixed (again, I just replaced it) then the truck should print great. The one I printed was just how I wanted it if you ignore the drill holes in it. I like the portions very much basically an Aristo knock off.

Well, it sounds like you DO have it under control - best of luck as you proceed to the point where you can take some pictures! :innocent:

1 Like

I thought you just replaced the screen? Is it getting scratched somehow?

I did just replace it. Its not an issue of being scratched. However these things work, whats going on is that in certain spots the light is not shinning through the screen and therefore not curing the resin. Its entirely possible that the new screen has never worked. But it works with the faster curing resin so I didn’t know it wasn’t working until I switched to the slower curing resin.

Do you just need to adjust the settings for the slower resin? I’d think I’d try that first. Don’t listen to me, I haven’t printed a single thing yet…

Maybe this Christmas break? :crossed_fingers:

Holes straight up thought resin prints are usually caused by defects in the FEP blocking or distorting the light. Is yours crystal clear? Did you try moving the print to another location?

No Dan I haven’t tried it. But the holes are way to uniform and perfect. All basically the same size and uniformly spaced. My FEP is almost brand new and clear. It was not one or a couple holes it was a grid of them.

Cliff had this happen to him and he contacted Anycubic and they explained that the screen was failing to let light through to certain pixels.

Craig if it was a settings issue it wouldn’t drill holes. It just wouldn’t cure at all. The problem would be over the entire project not holes.