Large Scale Central

Best Method for Inserting Rail into Tie Strips?

I don’t want to derail the thread with an argument about Aristo track, take a look from the end of the rail and see that the “spikes” normally do not touch the rail. The rails are pre-bent, but holding gauge is not possible. Start another thread and I’ll supply the picture. I was just responding that inserting Aristo rail in aristo tie strips is pretty easy, especially if you look at the pre-made sections.

Greg

Greg sent you mail.

Terry

I used those ties and aluminum code 250 rail on my old railroad in upstate NY. I cut the ties to 2-tie sections, and threaded them on with copious amounts of soapy water. If you pre-paint your rail, expect that the paint will likely rub off a bit on the foot of the rail. A little touch-up is all you need, though.

I tried the jig Llagas sent, but for how I was laying my track (staggered rail joints) it wasn’t practical.

Next railroad, I used pre-assembled sections.

Later,

K

As a lubricant, I second the motion to use an armorall-type product, it’s slippery and it will help preserve the ties from sun damage and keep them flexible.

Been doing it for 9 years and ties are still black.

Greg

One thing I didnt see mentioned is feed the strip halfway down the rail and work your way back to the end. Then flip the half completed section and feed the next tie strip to the middle again. Then you dont have to feed the tiestrips all the way to the other end of the track.

Jake Smith said:

One thing I didnt see mentioned is feed the strip halfway down the rail and work your way back to the end. Then flip the half completed section and feed the next tie strip to the middle again. Then you dont have to feed the tiestrips all the way to the other end of the track.

Hmmmmm, I thought that would be a given. Sheesh I guess I thought wrong, again.

Just noticed this thread was about Llagas.

I have that “comb” thing. Not sure how I would assemble the track without it. I actually have two as the “teeth” broke off on my first comb.

I use Vaseline to help move the rail more freely into the ties. I rub it onto the bottom of the rail. I also work on my garage floor as I’m typically working with 6 foot long rail sections. I’d also recommend gloves. You can cut yourself pretty badly trying to force rail into the tie strips. Hmmm I wonder how I found out about that?

Used track or track that has been outside for a while is so much tougher then factory fresh track. I typically have to clean used sections thoroughly with water and dish soap before the ties will move.

Terry Burr said:

Is Llagas that snug?

Yes

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Jake Smith said:

Hmmmmm, I thought that would be a given. Sheesh I guess I thought wrong, again.

You never can tell Hans…