Large Scale Central

Beat the COVID Boredum

That’s more like how it is lol

Jason

David, John, Jon, and Anyone Else I missed:

Thanks for the soldering help. I filed off the serrations, retinned it with the 60/40 solder on hand, remembered to tin both the wires and the soon to be attached LEDs, and, voila! I only had to redo one of four soldering points. Also, thanks for the help regarding the iron. Since I seem to be able to do basic repairs with what I have, I guess I can “solder on” with what’s on hand. Once everything opens up, I can get what I need to complete the repair to the tip per your guidance.

Aloha,

Eric

Glad you got it Eric. I was going to chime in but had nothing more to add that wasn’t already said. I have found clean is the key. I still get very frustrated trying to solder but I have gotten better.

Yes Eric, I am glad that you are on the way to improving your soldering skills. I used to be real good at soldering, because I used to get a lot of practice. Now I am sort of good, since I no longer stuff and solder circuit boards as part of my job.

Clean is one of the keys, like Devon said. And tinning the wires is another key. Components are already tinned, but their coating could have oxidized, so a bit of cleaning would not hurt component leads.

Gary Buchanan, FOG said:

OK, I don’t understand this “COVID boredom”. Anyone in this wide and varied hobby should never get bored. I’ve been retired for seven years and have yet to make a dent in getting projects done let alone have time to be bored. I can understand folks without hobbies getting bored during all of this but not hobbyists.

Perhaps not bored but in a Saabatical ? I have personally been on a few Saabaticals over the years

Rooster ’ said:

Gary Buchanan, FOG said:

OK, I don’t understand this “COVID boredom”. Anyone in this wide and varied hobby should never get bored. I’ve been retired for seven years and have yet to make a dent in getting projects done let alone have time to be bored. I can understand folks without hobbies getting bored during all of this but not hobbyists.

Perhaps not bored but in a Saabatical ? I have personally been on a few Saabaticals over the years

Yeah boredom maybe not the right word. I have way to many hobbies and have no clue what boredom is.

It’s the right word if your are staying in place 30 miles from your trains … trust me